Sports Briefs

Cross Country
‘Canes finish up at Furman Invitational

The University of Miami men’s and women’s cross country teams finished in eighth and 11th place, respectively, at the Furman Invitational.

Senior Alex Paley led the way for the Hurricane men, as he finished 28th. Also chipping in were juniors Ryan Woodlee and Andrew Chuplis, who finished 42nd and 43rd, respectively. Brandon Calbaro finished 54th, Tim Harris finished 62nd, Eric Miller finished 74th and Greg Grosicki finished 85th.

The Hurricane women were led by senior Delia Phlatts, who placed 25th. Her finish marked the ninth straight competition where she has led the way for the Hurricane women.

The Hurricane’s cause was also helped by Ena Leufroy, who finished 66th; Caitlin Knapp, who finished 69th; Katherine Woodard, who finished 83rd; Jessica Fern, who finished 102nd; Andrea Wood, who finished 106th; and Anika Arevalo, who finished 112th.

Baseball
DiMare promoted to assistant head coach

Gino DiMare has been promoted to assistant head baseball coach. The decision was made by Head Coach Jim Morris, who had nothing but good things to say about DiMare.

“Gino has been here 12 years with me, which is longer than any assistant that I’ve ever had,” Morris said. “He’s worked very hard to earn and deserve this title through his recruiting and coaching on the field.

“He’s brought in a lot of talent with recruiting, and I think he’s known as one of the best recruiters in college baseball. Also, he brings a winning tradition as a player and as a coach. He understands what it takes to get back to Omaha, and he’s been very good in helping lead our players in that direction.”

Rowing
Hurricanes start off strong for fall

The Miami Hurricanes rowing team started the fall schedule with a strong showing against Nova Southeastern University, as both of the Hurricanes’ eights finished first and second in all six pieces.

“I was very proud of our team today,” Head Coach Robbie Tenenbaum said. “Both of our boats raced hard, and I know that everyone on our team was happy to get our first competition under our belts.”

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...