Sports Briefs

Cross Country
‘Canes finish up at Furman Invitational

The University of Miami men’s and women’s cross country teams finished in eighth and 11th place, respectively, at the Furman Invitational.

Senior Alex Paley led the way for the Hurricane men, as he finished 28th. Also chipping in were juniors Ryan Woodlee and Andrew Chuplis, who finished 42nd and 43rd, respectively. Brandon Calbaro finished 54th, Tim Harris finished 62nd, Eric Miller finished 74th and Greg Grosicki finished 85th.

The Hurricane women were led by senior Delia Phlatts, who placed 25th. Her finish marked the ninth straight competition where she has led the way for the Hurricane women.

The Hurricane’s cause was also helped by Ena Leufroy, who finished 66th; Caitlin Knapp, who finished 69th; Katherine Woodard, who finished 83rd; Jessica Fern, who finished 102nd; Andrea Wood, who finished 106th; and Anika Arevalo, who finished 112th.

Baseball
DiMare promoted to assistant head coach

Gino DiMare has been promoted to assistant head baseball coach. The decision was made by Head Coach Jim Morris, who had nothing but good things to say about DiMare.

“Gino has been here 12 years with me, which is longer than any assistant that I’ve ever had,” Morris said. “He’s worked very hard to earn and deserve this title through his recruiting and coaching on the field.

“He’s brought in a lot of talent with recruiting, and I think he’s known as one of the best recruiters in college baseball. Also, he brings a winning tradition as a player and as a coach. He understands what it takes to get back to Omaha, and he’s been very good in helping lead our players in that direction.”

Rowing
Hurricanes start off strong for fall

The Miami Hurricanes rowing team started the fall schedule with a strong showing against Nova Southeastern University, as both of the Hurricanes’ eights finished first and second in all six pieces.

“I was very proud of our team today,” Head Coach Robbie Tenenbaum said. “Both of our boats raced hard, and I know that everyone on our team was happy to get our first competition under our belts.”

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...