Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton announces new college aid plan

Sen. Hillary Clinton, the Democratic frontrunner for the 2008 election, announced a new college aid plan last Thursday that would increase financial aid to college students.

On her Web site, Clinton provides details of a plan that would lower the cost of college through a $3,500 tuition tax credit, increase Pell Grants and improve college graduation rates.
Overall, Clinton’s plan would designate

$8 billion a year without increasing the nation’s deficit. Instead, it would be funded by eliminating the guaranteed student loan program and modifying estate taxes so that the wealthiest 10,000 estates in America do not receive further tax cuts.

Students who perform public service would also receive additional aid. Clinton’s plan would double the education award to $10,000 for students who serve in AmeriCorps, the public service organization that her husband, former president Bill Clinton, created over a decade ago.

But what most college applicants would appreciate first is Clinton’s proposed elimination of the FAFSA application process.

Clinton said on her Web site that the financial aid form is more lengthy and complicated than a tax return, and it takes Americans more than 100 million hours to complete-the equivalent of 55,000 full-time jobs. Moreover, the government already knows most of the information the form provides. Instead, she proposed adding a box on income tax returns so students can indicate if they would like to apply for financial aid. Then, the Department of Education would mail students a letter telling them exactly how much aid they would receive.

Her goal is to make applying for college easier. Increased and more accessible financial aid would raise the number of college graduates.

“When it comes to higher education-we shouldn’t be playing catch up with the world-we should be leading it,” Clinton said in a press release. “The skills and knowledge of our work force will determine whether America can compete and win in the global economy.”

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...