End of an era for Yankees

A new era is upon us. Time to turn the page and start a new chapter. There was the Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig era, the Joe DiMaggio era, the Yogi Berra era, the Mantle and Maris era, the Bronx Zoo of the late 1970s era, the Don Mattingly era; and now the Joe Torre era is complete.

The Bronx Bombers are now the Bronx Bummers. A team whose motto is “Where players become legends” should be changed to “Where players become legends until they get to October.” Call me an obnoxious New Yorker but since 2001 the Yankees have spent over $1.2 billion and what do they have to show for it? Nothing. Their standards are different than any other team. Making the playoffs is just not good enough anymore. News flash George Steinbrenner: Money cannot buy World Series titles; it can only lead to tons of criticism and embarrassment.

It was fitting for the Yankees to go out this way. A team anchored by the enormity of its pride, power, pinstripes and payroll was ultimately beaten by an inexperienced young Cleveland team who came up clutch scoring 15 runs with two outs-something the Yankees are not accustomed to doing in October.

So what might be next for New York? Dare I say rebuilding? After all, they are rebuilding Yankee Stadium in 2009, so why not usher in new faces to the franchise and build it around youth instead of has-beens like Mike Mussina, Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, Gary Sheffield and Jason Giambi. The dismantling of the dynasty is sure to come.

The likes of Melky Cabrera, Robinson Cano, Joba Chamberlain and Philip Hughes will be the anchors in the next era for the most storied franchise in sports. Sprinkled around these players will still be the captain Derek Jeter and a couple of veterans with experience, but the Yankees might be on hiatus for a while.

It was a wild 12-year run for Torre-12 straight postseason appearances, 10 division titles and four World Championships in five years. His demeanor was always the same, so stoic and poised. But there is an end to everything. The Joe Torre era is over and that just means one thing: I am getting old.

Justin Antweil is a freshman majoring in print journalism and economics. He may be contacted at j.antweil@umiami.edu.

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...