CD REVIEW: ‘In Rainbows’

The release of In Rainbows came as a shock to both ardent Radiohead fans and media conglomerate fat cats alike.

Rumored to be released sometime in 2008, the album’s fuzzy status was suddenly made clear in a surprise post on Radiohead’s weblog, Dead Air Space, in which they announced that it would be released on Oct. 10.

Astonishingly, Radiohead decided to distribute In Rainbows exclusively online and in the absence of a record contract. And, in a completely unprecedented move, they let consumers decide how much they felt was reasonable to pay for the album. It’s certainly worth making a donation because Radiohead’s newest album is not one you will soon forget.

In Rainbows is a psychedelic trip through a jagged yet exquisite dreamscape sculpted by the genius of a madman. The first thing one notices about In Rainbows is the absence of the palpable paranoid overtones of previous albums like Kid A and OK Computer; rather, In Rainbows is more mellow and melodic. But under the melodies runs a dark undercurrent of cynicism, frustration and even rage towards the state of the world today. This is especially apparent in “Bodysnatchers,” in which lead singer Thom Yorke expresses his morbid outlook on the new millennium. The tight composition of the album gives the illusion of simplicity when in reality each track is deeply complex.

Overall, In Rainbows is a tour de force for Radiohead. Its elegance, complexity and maturity are indicative of an album far ahead of its time.

Nick Harbaugh may be contacted at n.harbaugh@umiami.edu.

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...