Culture

CD REVIEW: ‘In Rainbows’

The release of In Rainbows came as a shock to both ardent Radiohead fans and media conglomerate fat cats alike.

Rumored to be released sometime in 2008, the album’s fuzzy status was suddenly made clear in a surprise post on Radiohead’s weblog, Dead Air Space, in which they announced that it would be released on Oct. 10.

Astonishingly, Radiohead decided to distribute In Rainbows exclusively online and in the absence of a record contract. And, in a completely unprecedented move, they let consumers decide how much they felt was reasonable to pay for the album. It’s certainly worth making a donation because Radiohead’s newest album is not one you will soon forget.

In Rainbows is a psychedelic trip through a jagged yet exquisite dreamscape sculpted by the genius of a madman. The first thing one notices about In Rainbows is the absence of the palpable paranoid overtones of previous albums like Kid A and OK Computer; rather, In Rainbows is more mellow and melodic. But under the melodies runs a dark undercurrent of cynicism, frustration and even rage towards the state of the world today. This is especially apparent in “Bodysnatchers,” in which lead singer Thom Yorke expresses his morbid outlook on the new millennium. The tight composition of the album gives the illusion of simplicity when in reality each track is deeply complex.

Overall, In Rainbows is a tour de force for Radiohead. Its elegance, complexity and maturity are indicative of an album far ahead of its time.

Nick Harbaugh may be contacted at n.harbaugh@umiami.edu.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...