A night of hope against hate

Students stood with quiet reverence and held white candles and multicolored carnations as a symbol of goodwill and friendship during SpectrUM’s Anti-Hate Candlelight Vigil Thursday night.

The candlelight vigil, supported by other student organizations such as Random Acts of Kindness, United Black Students and Student Government, was one of SpectrUM’s Coming-Out Week events, and was organized to commemorate victims of race, religion, sexual orientation and sexual identity-related hate crimes.

Patricia A. Whitely, vice president of Student Affairs, opened the vigil with a discussion of Matthew Sheppard, the University of Ohio student who was tortured and murdered in 1998 by a group of men who picked him up from a bar.

The discussion expanded from prejudice on college campuses to focus on topics relating to worldwide prejudices.

Robyn Fisher, the rabbinical director at Hillel Jewish Center, was also a guest speaker at the event and recounted her travels to Poland. Fisher made parallels between the prejudice against Jews during the Holocaust to prejudice against homosexuals.

Other speakers included Frank Corbishley, chaplain at the Episcopal Church Center, and Islamiyat Nancy Adebisi, president of United Black Students.

“Prejudice is not a feeling reserved for different nationalities but also religion and sexual orientation,” Adebisi said.

Some students who attended the vigil, such as senior Alexander Orantes, thought the vigil was important because “it reminds people that hate for others still exists, and although it may not happen to you directly, it is important to stand up for others.”

Ashleyann Gosselin may be contacted at a.gosselin@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...