The Beach gets a makeover

The University of Miami has always trailed its Atlantic Coast Conference counterparts in home attendance. Now the school is doing something about it.

The student section at the BankUnited Center, often called “The Beach,” is getting a makeover befitting of its name. A Jacuzzi, a bed of sand and a lifeguard tower will welcome students back to the BUC this season.

“Anyone can go print out and give out foam fingers,” said Max Lorber, marketing coordinator for UM athletics. “We’re trying to step it up.”

The move comes as the athletic department is seeking to increase attendance all around the arena. There will be no ticket price increases, and some prices will actually decrease.

“The intention of our season ticket pricing is to allow even more fans to be exposed to ACC basketball,” UM Athletic Director Paul Dee was quoted as saying on www.hurricanesports.com. “The ACC offers the best of college basketball and our goal is to enhance awareness of the men’s basketball program and introduce our product to more people.”

The home basketball schedule opens up on Nov. 9, when the women play Florida Atlantic at noon, and the men play Florida Southern at 7:30 p.m.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...