The Beach gets a makeover

The University of Miami has always trailed its Atlantic Coast Conference counterparts in home attendance. Now the school is doing something about it.

The student section at the BankUnited Center, often called “The Beach,” is getting a makeover befitting of its name. A Jacuzzi, a bed of sand and a lifeguard tower will welcome students back to the BUC this season.

“Anyone can go print out and give out foam fingers,” said Max Lorber, marketing coordinator for UM athletics. “We’re trying to step it up.”

The move comes as the athletic department is seeking to increase attendance all around the arena. There will be no ticket price increases, and some prices will actually decrease.

“The intention of our season ticket pricing is to allow even more fans to be exposed to ACC basketball,” UM Athletic Director Paul Dee was quoted as saying on www.hurricanesports.com. “The ACC offers the best of college basketball and our goal is to enhance awareness of the men’s basketball program and introduce our product to more people.”

The home basketball schedule opens up on Nov. 9, when the women play Florida Atlantic at noon, and the men play Florida Southern at 7:30 p.m.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...