Football Matchup: Miami v. GA Tech

QUARTERBACKS

Kyle Wright needs to make a statement after losing to the Yellow Jackets twice in the past two seasons. Wright has been inconsistent once again this season, throwing eight interceptions and continuing to make poor decisions in the red zone. Taylor Bennett has yet to prove he can do more than just manage the game against an ACC opponent on the road. He has thrown for 1,016 yards, tossed for two scores and has thrown two interceptions.
Advantage: MIAMI

O-LINE

Miami’s group up front was a culprit for the team’s woes last week. The unit was ineffective for three quarters of the game and has a tougher task this week. The Yellow Jackets have allowed just four sacks on the season and the group has played well against Miami the past two seasons.
Advantage: GEORGIA TECH

RUNNING BACKS

Javarris James and Graig Cooper need to have a productive first half and set the tone early. The Hurricanes need one of its tailbacks to surpass the 100-yard mark. Georgia Tech’s Tashard Choice ranks among the best in the ACC and has rushed for 606 yards with six touchdowns. Jonathan Dwyer is a solid backup and has also reached pay dirt six times.
Advantage: GEORGIA TECH

RECEIVERS

Darnell Jenkins and Sam Shields need to have strong performances back to back. Jenkins continues to be a reliable target, and he has confidence after a 97-yard touchdown reception. Georgia Tech surely misses Calvin Johnson. Demaryius Thomas has been the go-to receiver, with 314 receiving yards and two touchdowns.
Advantage: MIAMI

D-LINE

Miami’s unit was not much of a factor last week. The Hurricanes must have a better effort across the board Saturday and force Bennett to be uncomfortable in the pocket. Georgia Tech has a couple playmakers to keep an eye on. Vance Walker has 5.5 sacks and nine tackles for a loss while Darrell Robertson has 3.5 sacks and two fumble recoveries.
Advantage: EVEN

LINEBACKERS

The Hurricanes allowed 183 yards on the ground last week to North Carolina. The Yellow Jackets have held opponents to just 68.5 yards rushing per game. Phillip Wheeler leads the group with 37 tackles, 4.5 sacks and two fumble recoveries.
Advantage: GEORGIA TECH

SECONDARY

Miami’s cornerbacks must start tackling better and must not allow big plays. Both Carlos Armour and Bruce Johnson missed tackles that resulted in two touchdowns. The Yellow Jackets secondary is the weakest part, if any, on the defense. The group has only recorded two interceptions and has allowed 233.8 passing yards per game.
Advantage: MIAMI

SPECIAL TEAMS

Miami’s unit was awful last week, despite improved results from the return team. Francesco Zampogna missed a 32-yard field goal and PAT while Matt Bosher continues to struggle and had a punt blocked. The Yellow Jackets’ Travis Bell is 14-for-17 in field goals while punter Durant Brooks has averaged 46 yards per punt.
Advantage: GEORGIA TECH

Saturday’s game will be televised nationally on ESPN and broadcast locally on WVUM 90.5 FM. The game begins at noon.
Visit TheMiamiHurricane.com for post-game coverage.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...