Florida Marlins hooked on walk for multiple myeloma

Fishermen say that the better the bait, the more interesting the fish. In this case, the University of Miami caught the eye of the Florida Marlins with the third annual walk for multiple myeloma planned for Oct. 14.

Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority is hosting the walk for multiple myeloma, a cancer that renders cells in the immune system ineffective. The sorority expects students, community members and the Marlins to participate.

“I started off with sorority awareness events, and the walk just kind of happened,” said Denise Vidot, president of the Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, who launched the first myeloma walk in 2005. Last year, the walk raised $10,000. This year, Denise expects a “huge increase” in the amount of money raised and in the number of participants.

The Marlins, a sponsor of the event, will be showing their support by supplying a free lunch, giving away freebies and raffling off autographed equipment.

The walk serves many purposes in the community, said Suzanne Battaglia, the developmental assistant at the International Myeloma Foundation.

“One of the things we encourage, in addition to raising money for research, is public awareness,” Battaglia said. “People can go undiagnosed, and especially with cancer, the earlier the diagnosis, the better.”

The American Cancer Society predicts that 19,900 individuals will be diagnosed with multiple myeloma in 2007, and an early diagnosis may prevent further complications.

By raising awareness throughout the community and gaining the support of groups like the Marlins, organizers and participants believe the walk is an effective way to raise both money toward research and awareness.

“It seems like it’s going to be really big,” said Carnell Brame, a junior who plans to participate. “I’m excited that a lot of people are participating. I think it’s going to be a big tradition.”

Registration is $20 to walk solo or $10 to walk as a team of five or more. Registered participants receive a T-shirt and are entered in raffles to win prizes.

For more information about the walk, e-mail Denise Vidot at peaches2822@aol.com. To learn more about multiple myeloma, visit the International Myeloma Foundation at www.myeloma.org.

Padma Sarvepalli may be contacted at p.sarvepalli@umiami.edu

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...