Are you making a mile-high flub?

V,

I’m a sophomore and I’ve been in a long-distance relationship with my high school boyfriend since I got to UM. He goes to school up north. Last year I had a job so I always had the money to fly up and see him. I’m not working this year and I’m kind of tight on cash. Would it be out of line to ask him to split the cost of a flight with me?

~Broke

Dear Reader,

As far as I can tell, there’s nothing good about being in a long-distance relationship. Constantly missing someone is no fun and neither is worrying about what that someone is doing at that Saturday night house party.

I’m sure you know by now that sustaining a long-distance relationship takes plenty of honesty, trust and communication. With AIM, Skype and cell phones, there’s no shortage of ways to keep in touch, but equally as important is being able to see each other once in a while for some physical contact. I’m not speaking strictly sexually by any means. There’s something to be said for holding hands and cuddling now and then. It’s these small things that make being apart from someone so unbearable.

I know that love conquers all, love knows no bounds, yadda yadda. In my opinion, no matter how much two people care for one another, it’s near impossible to maintain a relationship without the occasional visit.

A connection will start to fizzle out if a couple does not make it their business to be an active part of each other’s lives. A romantic relationship requires some romance once in a while, you know? Without face to face contact, you run the risk of just becoming a voice on the other end of the phone.

As a long-distance relationship veteran, these are lessons you should have already learned. If you and your boyfriend recognize the importance of spending time together (and I hope you do), you should do everything you can to make it happen.

I don’t think there’s a reason he’ll find your request outrageous or offensive. You’d be willing to front the money for him, wouldn’t you? Seventy-five or $100 is a small price to pay for some invaluable quality time. Chances are it’s money he’d be spending anyway on movie tickets or dinner during your trip. Limit your expenses during your visits so that money can be put toward spending more time together.

Best of luck!

Fact O’ the Day: Despite popular belief, the percentage of all marriages that eventually end in divorce peaked in the United States at around 41 percent around 1980. The number has been declining ever since, standing still at 31 percent in 2002.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Miami Hurricane. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...