What’s going on?

October 8: Today

SpectrUM is hosting a “Come Out, Chill Out BBQ” at the Pearson volleyball courts from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Students may stop by for food and a game of volleyball between classes.

Books & Books is hosting a book signing at 7:30 p.m. with Frank Romano, author of “Storm Over Morocco.” His book recounts his spiritual voyage to the Middle East, and he presently organizes and participates in interfaith events in Israel and Palestine.

October 9: Tuesday

The Wellness Center is hosting “Weight Loss: Why We Fail and How to Succeed” from noon to 1 p.m. in the Wellness Center classroom 1.

Hillel is hosting “Sukkah Lounge,” featuring sushi, hooka and live Brazilian music, from 8 to 11 p.m.

October 10: Wednesday

UM’s United Way Campaign will host “Taste of UM” from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Miller School Wellness Center, room C. UM-approved catering vendors will provide a variety of free food samples ranging from pasta to paella. Admission is free, but donations will be accepted.

CAC is screening “Hot Fuzz,” starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, from 8 to 10 p.m. at the Cosford Cinema. UM students are admitted free with ‘Cane Card.

SpectrUM is hosting Gay and Lesbian 101 in UC 245 at 8 p.m. as part of Coming Out Week.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...