Weird News

Attention Wal-Mart shoppers, wedding on aisle two

In Springfield, Ohio, two lovers have tied the knot in the “exclusive” lawn and garden section of their local Wal-Mart. Chet Eldridge is an automotive manager and his new wife Danna Hornback is an arts-and-crafts associate at the store. They met at the staff orientation program. Hornback was delighted when Eldridge asked for a first date in the furniture department, and the couple was engaged not long after. The ceremony took place in the store during regular hours and cheers could be heard from across the store when the two were pronounced man and wife.

Pigs roam upscale michigan neighborhood

In Grand Rapids, Mich., nobody is quite sure how two potbellied pigs wound up in an upscale neighborhood. The wayward swine were spotted about 7 a.m. Wednesday. Animal control quickly netted one of the pigs, but they needed a little more time to capture the second one. The Grand Rapids Press says the pigs are thought to be escaped pets. Local resident Laurie Blase says she doesn’t know of any neighbors who kept pet pigs.

Man gets 5 months for killing ostrich

In Redwood City, Calif., a man has been sentenced to five months in jail and three years of probation for killing an ostrich in San Mateo County. Authorities say Jonathan Porter, his friend Timonthy McKevitt and a few others were drinking on Halloween last year and decided to trespass on a ranch. Gaylord the ostrich apparently grew incensed and attacked and injured both men. Porter and McKevitt later returned to the ranch with a rifle and shotgun and killed Gaylord. McKevitt will have to pay $5,000 in restitution for killing the ostrich. Porter has already served a five-month sentence.

A big baby

In Russia’s Altai region, a jumbo-sized baby was born. The 17.11-pound little girl has stunned her parents, who have 11 other children. The mother, Tatyana Barabanova, was overwhelmed by the sheer size and weight of her not-so-little bundle of joy, Nadia. However, the child does not quite hold the record for “heaviest baby.” According to Guinness World Records, the heaviest baby at birth was a huge 22.8-pound boy in Aversa, Italy, in 1955.

Compiled by Merika Vine and from news.yahoo.com

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...