Weird News

Attention Wal-Mart shoppers, wedding on aisle two

In Springfield, Ohio, two lovers have tied the knot in the “exclusive” lawn and garden section of their local Wal-Mart. Chet Eldridge is an automotive manager and his new wife Danna Hornback is an arts-and-crafts associate at the store. They met at the staff orientation program. Hornback was delighted when Eldridge asked for a first date in the furniture department, and the couple was engaged not long after. The ceremony took place in the store during regular hours and cheers could be heard from across the store when the two were pronounced man and wife.

Pigs roam upscale michigan neighborhood

In Grand Rapids, Mich., nobody is quite sure how two potbellied pigs wound up in an upscale neighborhood. The wayward swine were spotted about 7 a.m. Wednesday. Animal control quickly netted one of the pigs, but they needed a little more time to capture the second one. The Grand Rapids Press says the pigs are thought to be escaped pets. Local resident Laurie Blase says she doesn’t know of any neighbors who kept pet pigs.

Man gets 5 months for killing ostrich

In Redwood City, Calif., a man has been sentenced to five months in jail and three years of probation for killing an ostrich in San Mateo County. Authorities say Jonathan Porter, his friend Timonthy McKevitt and a few others were drinking on Halloween last year and decided to trespass on a ranch. Gaylord the ostrich apparently grew incensed and attacked and injured both men. Porter and McKevitt later returned to the ranch with a rifle and shotgun and killed Gaylord. McKevitt will have to pay $5,000 in restitution for killing the ostrich. Porter has already served a five-month sentence.

A big baby

In Russia’s Altai region, a jumbo-sized baby was born. The 17.11-pound little girl has stunned her parents, who have 11 other children. The mother, Tatyana Barabanova, was overwhelmed by the sheer size and weight of her not-so-little bundle of joy, Nadia. However, the child does not quite hold the record for “heaviest baby.” According to Guinness World Records, the heaviest baby at birth was a huge 22.8-pound boy in Aversa, Italy, in 1955.

Compiled by Merika Vine and from news.yahoo.com

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...