Stop the Bush bashing? Not until he’s out of office!

This letter is in response to Richard Lyons’ Sept. 27 op-ed piece “Stop the Bush Bashing.” Mr. Lyons, I can hardly decide where to start with your elementary analysis of the global effect this administration is having. You make the naive [assertion]that the Bush administration said this would be a fast war. Remember the “Mission Accomplished” fiasco? Two months into the war, Bush proudly stood atop a ship and declared that the war was over. Last week, the private security firm Blackwater, which provides escorts for diplomats and other dignitaries who visit Iraq, came under massive scrutiny. Their involvement in the war is a prime example of “pork-barrel politics,” given that Blackwater’s founder and his sister raised over $325,000 for Bush during 2004. The State Department pays Blackwater $1,222 per day per mercenary, which is six times the amount paid to U.S. soldiers. They have received a total of $1 billion in contracts since the outset of the war.

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Paradise Camp continues to pay dividends for the Miami Hurricanes. As the camp wrapped up Saturday, ...

As Manny Diaz puts it, Paradise Camp is the Miami Hurricanes’ bridge between three generations. It s ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...