Stop the Bush bashing? Not until he’s out of office!

This letter is in response to Richard Lyons’ Sept. 27 op-ed piece “Stop the Bush Bashing.” Mr. Lyons, I can hardly decide where to start with your elementary analysis of the global effect this administration is having. You make the naive [assertion]that the Bush administration said this would be a fast war. Remember the “Mission Accomplished” fiasco? Two months into the war, Bush proudly stood atop a ship and declared that the war was over. Last week, the private security firm Blackwater, which provides escorts for diplomats and other dignitaries who visit Iraq, came under massive scrutiny. Their involvement in the war is a prime example of “pork-barrel politics,” given that Blackwater’s founder and his sister raised over $325,000 for Bush during 2004. The State Department pays Blackwater $1,222 per day per mercenary, which is six times the amount paid to U.S. soldiers. They have received a total of $1 billion in contracts since the outset of the war.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...