Sports Briefs

Tennis
Vallverdu siblings see their runs end

After advancing to the second round of the 2007 Polo Ralph Lauren All-American Tennis Championship, with a win against No. 27 Elliot Wronksi, No. 19 Daniel Vallverdu fell in the second round to No. 4 Travis Helgeson.

On the women’s side, sophomore Laura Vallverdu advanced to the quarterfinals in the main draw at the 2007 Riviera/ITA All-American Tennis Championships. She advanced to the quarterfinal round after a tough three-hour match against Vanderbilt’s Amanda Taylor, winning 4-6, 6-4, 6-4. In the quarterfinal round, Vallverdu found herself in an equally tough matchup against Georgia Tech’s Amanda

McDowell, but ultimately Vallverdu fell 11-9 in the third-set tiebreaker.

Cross Country
Hurricanes lock up first-place finishes

The University of Miami women’s and men’s cross country teams finished in first place at the flrunners.com Invitational.

The Hurricane women were led by senior Delia Phlatts, who placed first in the women’s competition.

The Hurricane men were led by junior Andrew Chuplis, who claimed the individual title with a first place finish.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...