Sports Briefs

Tennis
Vallverdu siblings see their runs end

After advancing to the second round of the 2007 Polo Ralph Lauren All-American Tennis Championship, with a win against No. 27 Elliot Wronksi, No. 19 Daniel Vallverdu fell in the second round to No. 4 Travis Helgeson.

On the women’s side, sophomore Laura Vallverdu advanced to the quarterfinals in the main draw at the 2007 Riviera/ITA All-American Tennis Championships. She advanced to the quarterfinal round after a tough three-hour match against Vanderbilt’s Amanda Taylor, winning 4-6, 6-4, 6-4. In the quarterfinal round, Vallverdu found herself in an equally tough matchup against Georgia Tech’s Amanda

McDowell, but ultimately Vallverdu fell 11-9 in the third-set tiebreaker.

Cross Country
Hurricanes lock up first-place finishes

The University of Miami women’s and men’s cross country teams finished in first place at the flrunners.com Invitational.

The Hurricane women were led by senior Delia Phlatts, who placed first in the women’s competition.

The Hurricane men were led by junior Andrew Chuplis, who claimed the individual title with a first place finish.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...