Miami stuck at double overtime

In its first ACC road game of the season on Thursday night in Blacksburg, Va., the University of Miami women’s soccer team blew an early lead against rival Virginia Tech to finish the match at a 1-1 tie after two overtimes.

Freshman forward Brittney Steinbruch, who recently earned NSCAA National Player of the Week, ACC Player of the Week, Soccer America Women’s Team of the Week and Soccer Buzz Elite Team of the Week, netted her 12th goal of the season in the 15th minute, assisted by fellow freshman midfielder Lauren Singer.

Steinbruch is already second in the Hurricanes’ record book for goals in a season, just four shy of the feat, while Singer moved up as the team’s second leading scorer with her fifth assist of the year.

Despite taking more shots on goal and exhibiting aggressive play, the ‘Canes could only muster a 1-0 lead at the half.

Miami was once again plagued by their season-long inability to finish on shots, which cost them the game against University of South Florida earlier in the season. The Hokies took advantage of the Hurricanes’ missed opportunities and replied with a goal in the 61st minute to tie the score.

It was Marika Gray’s sixth goal of the season, a team high, on a pass from teammate Julian Johnson.

The ‘Canes were affected by the 10-4 difference in corner kicks in favor of Tech, which rendered them unable to capitalize on scoring chances. Miami also had two off sides calls against them in the game.

Each team substituted players when the other did the same in order to keep fresh legs on the field for the extended match and back-and-forth play.

Despite three players receiving yellow cards and 34 fouls from both teams combined, each goalie played the duration of the game, with Lauren McAdam notching six saves for the ‘Canes and Ashley Owens stopping nine shots for the Hokies.

“We played really well,” Singer said. “Unfortunately we didn’t finish on the opportunities we created.”

Miami now stands at a record of 6-2-3 (2-0-1 ACC), coming off key victories against North Carolina and NC State, while Virginia Tech moved to 4-4-2 (0-2-1 ACC).

The ‘Canes will play host to Boston College Thursday night at Cobb Stadium.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...