Miami stuck at double overtime

In its first ACC road game of the season on Thursday night in Blacksburg, Va., the University of Miami women’s soccer team blew an early lead against rival Virginia Tech to finish the match at a 1-1 tie after two overtimes.

Freshman forward Brittney Steinbruch, who recently earned NSCAA National Player of the Week, ACC Player of the Week, Soccer America Women’s Team of the Week and Soccer Buzz Elite Team of the Week, netted her 12th goal of the season in the 15th minute, assisted by fellow freshman midfielder Lauren Singer.

Steinbruch is already second in the Hurricanes’ record book for goals in a season, just four shy of the feat, while Singer moved up as the team’s second leading scorer with her fifth assist of the year.

Despite taking more shots on goal and exhibiting aggressive play, the ‘Canes could only muster a 1-0 lead at the half.

Miami was once again plagued by their season-long inability to finish on shots, which cost them the game against University of South Florida earlier in the season. The Hokies took advantage of the Hurricanes’ missed opportunities and replied with a goal in the 61st minute to tie the score.

It was Marika Gray’s sixth goal of the season, a team high, on a pass from teammate Julian Johnson.

The ‘Canes were affected by the 10-4 difference in corner kicks in favor of Tech, which rendered them unable to capitalize on scoring chances. Miami also had two off sides calls against them in the game.

Each team substituted players when the other did the same in order to keep fresh legs on the field for the extended match and back-and-forth play.

Despite three players receiving yellow cards and 34 fouls from both teams combined, each goalie played the duration of the game, with Lauren McAdam notching six saves for the ‘Canes and Ashley Owens stopping nine shots for the Hokies.

“We played really well,” Singer said. “Unfortunately we didn’t finish on the opportunities we created.”

Miami now stands at a record of 6-2-3 (2-0-1 ACC), coming off key victories against North Carolina and NC State, while Virginia Tech moved to 4-4-2 (0-2-1 ACC).

The ‘Canes will play host to Boston College Thursday night at Cobb Stadium.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...