Don’t get incensed over your fashion sense

V,

Everyone at this school is so fancy. Never before have I seen girls wear high heels to class and carry their schoolbooks in $1,000 designer bags. I know it’s ridiculous but I’m pretty plain and seeing all these girls actually makes me feel bad about myself. I just feel so unattractive in comparison.

~ Unfabulous

As a simple GAP girl myself, I can understand where you’re coming from. It can definitely be a shock to arrive to your 8 a.m. class clad in last night’s pajamas only to find your neighbor dressed like she’s ready for a night on South Beach.

You’re not the only one. I’ve met many a UM girl who’s felt out of place after arriving on campus. I suppose it depends where you came from, but stilettos and designer duds were not the norm at my high school. Life was a little less Dolce & Gabbana and a little more Abercrombie and Fitch.

The general public often writes off UM as a breeding ground for rich, well-dressed socialites, but that’s simply not the whole truth. There are all kinds of people on campus if you look hard enough. Just like high school, we have the preps, the hippies, the indie kids, the athletes and probably any other group you can think of. Each crowd has its own way of life and style.

It’s perfectly normal to feel uneasy in a new environment. I remember having a bit of a culture shock myself as a freshman. It wasn’t until I established my own group of friends that it became easier to stop comparing myself to others. Seek out people on campus with similar interests and more often than not you’ll find their philosophy on style aligns more closely with your own.

So, you don’t look like you just stepped off the runway at New York Fashion week. So what? Jimmy Choos and True Religion jeans are obviously not your thing, and that’s okay. Don’t compromise your personal style or beliefs to try and fit in. You’ll probably just end up looking awkward and uncomfortable.

Remember, the fancy, fashionable girls you see walking around have their off days too. No matter how many layers of MAC makeup, no one feels attractive 100 percent of the time.

Give yourself a little more credit. Plain does not mean boring or ugly. I hate to sound like a fashion magazine, but own your style. No matter what kind of clothing you’re wearing, nothing is more unattractive than a lack of confidence.

Best of luck!

Fact O’ the Day: If you look closely, you’ll notice the Mona Lisa has no eyebrows. In Renaissance Florence, it was fashionable for women to shave them off.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Miami Hurricane. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...