Don’t get incensed over your fashion sense

V,

Everyone at this school is so fancy. Never before have I seen girls wear high heels to class and carry their schoolbooks in $1,000 designer bags. I know it’s ridiculous but I’m pretty plain and seeing all these girls actually makes me feel bad about myself. I just feel so unattractive in comparison.

~ Unfabulous

As a simple GAP girl myself, I can understand where you’re coming from. It can definitely be a shock to arrive to your 8 a.m. class clad in last night’s pajamas only to find your neighbor dressed like she’s ready for a night on South Beach.

You’re not the only one. I’ve met many a UM girl who’s felt out of place after arriving on campus. I suppose it depends where you came from, but stilettos and designer duds were not the norm at my high school. Life was a little less Dolce & Gabbana and a little more Abercrombie and Fitch.

The general public often writes off UM as a breeding ground for rich, well-dressed socialites, but that’s simply not the whole truth. There are all kinds of people on campus if you look hard enough. Just like high school, we have the preps, the hippies, the indie kids, the athletes and probably any other group you can think of. Each crowd has its own way of life and style.

It’s perfectly normal to feel uneasy in a new environment. I remember having a bit of a culture shock myself as a freshman. It wasn’t until I established my own group of friends that it became easier to stop comparing myself to others. Seek out people on campus with similar interests and more often than not you’ll find their philosophy on style aligns more closely with your own.

So, you don’t look like you just stepped off the runway at New York Fashion week. So what? Jimmy Choos and True Religion jeans are obviously not your thing, and that’s okay. Don’t compromise your personal style or beliefs to try and fit in. You’ll probably just end up looking awkward and uncomfortable.

Remember, the fancy, fashionable girls you see walking around have their off days too. No matter how many layers of MAC makeup, no one feels attractive 100 percent of the time.

Give yourself a little more credit. Plain does not mean boring or ugly. I hate to sound like a fashion magazine, but own your style. No matter what kind of clothing you’re wearing, nothing is more unattractive than a lack of confidence.

Best of luck!

Fact O’ the Day: If you look closely, you’ll notice the Mona Lisa has no eyebrows. In Renaissance Florence, it was fashionable for women to shave them off.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Miami Hurricane. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...