Don’t get incensed over your fashion sense

V,

Everyone at this school is so fancy. Never before have I seen girls wear high heels to class and carry their schoolbooks in $1,000 designer bags. I know it’s ridiculous but I’m pretty plain and seeing all these girls actually makes me feel bad about myself. I just feel so unattractive in comparison.

~ Unfabulous

As a simple GAP girl myself, I can understand where you’re coming from. It can definitely be a shock to arrive to your 8 a.m. class clad in last night’s pajamas only to find your neighbor dressed like she’s ready for a night on South Beach.

You’re not the only one. I’ve met many a UM girl who’s felt out of place after arriving on campus. I suppose it depends where you came from, but stilettos and designer duds were not the norm at my high school. Life was a little less Dolce & Gabbana and a little more Abercrombie and Fitch.

The general public often writes off UM as a breeding ground for rich, well-dressed socialites, but that’s simply not the whole truth. There are all kinds of people on campus if you look hard enough. Just like high school, we have the preps, the hippies, the indie kids, the athletes and probably any other group you can think of. Each crowd has its own way of life and style.

It’s perfectly normal to feel uneasy in a new environment. I remember having a bit of a culture shock myself as a freshman. It wasn’t until I established my own group of friends that it became easier to stop comparing myself to others. Seek out people on campus with similar interests and more often than not you’ll find their philosophy on style aligns more closely with your own.

So, you don’t look like you just stepped off the runway at New York Fashion week. So what? Jimmy Choos and True Religion jeans are obviously not your thing, and that’s okay. Don’t compromise your personal style or beliefs to try and fit in. You’ll probably just end up looking awkward and uncomfortable.

Remember, the fancy, fashionable girls you see walking around have their off days too. No matter how many layers of MAC makeup, no one feels attractive 100 percent of the time.

Give yourself a little more credit. Plain does not mean boring or ugly. I hate to sound like a fashion magazine, but own your style. No matter what kind of clothing you’re wearing, nothing is more unattractive than a lack of confidence.

Best of luck!

Fact O’ the Day: If you look closely, you’ll notice the Mona Lisa has no eyebrows. In Renaissance Florence, it was fashionable for women to shave them off.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Miami Hurricane. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...