‘Canes lose despite comeback

Click here for the Miami/UNC report card.
Click here for the football commentary.

The Miami Hurricanes mounted an improbable rally Saturday but could not overcome the Tar Heels, falling 33-27.

The loss was their first against former University of Miami head coach and current University of North Carolina head coach, Butch Davis.

With the loss, Miami falls to 4-2 on the season and 1-1 in ACC action. More notably their road record is 0-2.

The ‘Canes gained zero yards on their first offensive possession, setting the tone for the remainder of the first quarter. After the punt, the Tar Heels drove down the field for a touchdown on five plays, capped by a 39-yard run by running back Anthony Elzy for the score. Davis’ team would add two field goals before the end of the quarter.

The Hurricanes could not stop the bleeding in the second quarter as the Tar Heels blocked a Matt Bosher punt deep in Miami territory, which led to a touchdown. UNC finished their flawless half with a 54-yard touchdown run on a reverse to wideout Brandon Tate.

Miami went into the half shut out by UNC 27-0.

The third quarter looked like a completely different game, as a revived Miami offense opened the half with an impressive drive for a touchdown. The Miami defense looked possessed, allowing only 17 yards in the quarter and forcing a fumble that led to a fourth down touchdown reception by wide receiver Sam Shields.

On Miami’s next possession, quarterback Kyle Wright connected with Darnell Jenkins in stride for a 97-yard touchdown reception. In fewer than eight minutes of playing time, the ‘Canes had cut the Tar Heels’ lead to seven and seemed to be right back in the thick of it.

At the start of the fourth quarter, UNC kicked a field goal to extend the lead to 10. Miami got the ball back, but Wright threw an interception that led to another field goal. The Hurricanes put together one final drive, but Wright threw a fourth interception into a crowd of three Tar Heels defenders.

Despite Miami’s 411 offensive yards, the ‘Canes were unable to convert and made fatal mistakes. Each of Wright’s four interceptions came on first downs, stifling the offense’s chances of scoring. Francesco Zampogna went wide right on a field goal attempt in the first quarter and missed an extra point in the third.

Miami returns to the Orange Bowl on Saturday to face Georgia Tech in a must-win ACC matchup.

The Tar Heels had little to say about Miami’s efforts, but Davis made a point of commenting on Shannon’s work as head coach after the game.

“Randy and I have a lot of history together. Randy’s doing a really, really good job for [the Hurricanes]and he’s a good person.”

Zack Loss may be contacted at z.loss@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...