Bring on the Wine (and Iron)

On his third full-length release, Iron and Wine discovered percussion. Sam Beam, the name behind the bearded singer/songwriter, has transitioned away from the soothing strumming and peaceful guitar picking of 2004’s Our Endless Numbered Days.

On The Shepherd’s Dog, Iron and Wine employs bongo drums, twangy guitars, slides and numerous effects pedals. While this may sound like blasphemy to many, take a fair listen. It actually works.

The Shepherd’s Dog isn’t a complete departure from Iron and Wine’s original style; “Resurrection Fern” is a reassuring and familiar tune with a noticeable bass line.

But “Wolves (Song of the Shepherd’s Dog)” is a perfect example of their newfound techniques. During the song’s three-minute jam, a wah-pedal sounds underneath guitars and percussion that crashes like melodic pots and pans. “Boy With a Coin” may be the best song on the album, since it rolls along with steady claps. “The Devil Never Sleeps” is a two-minute blues jam with tinkling keys, a walking bass and feedback guitars.

It may take a few listens to adjust to Iron and Wine’s new album, but The Shepherd’s Dog shows how a band can mature and expand its sound in a successful way.

Hilary Saunders may be contacted at h.saunders@umiami.edu.

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...