Bring on the Wine (and Iron)

On his third full-length release, Iron and Wine discovered percussion. Sam Beam, the name behind the bearded singer/songwriter, has transitioned away from the soothing strumming and peaceful guitar picking of 2004’s Our Endless Numbered Days.

On The Shepherd’s Dog, Iron and Wine employs bongo drums, twangy guitars, slides and numerous effects pedals. While this may sound like blasphemy to many, take a fair listen. It actually works.

The Shepherd’s Dog isn’t a complete departure from Iron and Wine’s original style; “Resurrection Fern” is a reassuring and familiar tune with a noticeable bass line.

But “Wolves (Song of the Shepherd’s Dog)” is a perfect example of their newfound techniques. During the song’s three-minute jam, a wah-pedal sounds underneath guitars and percussion that crashes like melodic pots and pans. “Boy With a Coin” may be the best song on the album, since it rolls along with steady claps. “The Devil Never Sleeps” is a two-minute blues jam with tinkling keys, a walking bass and feedback guitars.

It may take a few listens to adjust to Iron and Wine’s new album, but The Shepherd’s Dog shows how a band can mature and expand its sound in a successful way.

Hilary Saunders may be contacted at h.saunders@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...