Bring on the Wine (and Iron)

On his third full-length release, Iron and Wine discovered percussion. Sam Beam, the name behind the bearded singer/songwriter, has transitioned away from the soothing strumming and peaceful guitar picking of 2004’s Our Endless Numbered Days.

On The Shepherd’s Dog, Iron and Wine employs bongo drums, twangy guitars, slides and numerous effects pedals. While this may sound like blasphemy to many, take a fair listen. It actually works.

The Shepherd’s Dog isn’t a complete departure from Iron and Wine’s original style; “Resurrection Fern” is a reassuring and familiar tune with a noticeable bass line.

But “Wolves (Song of the Shepherd’s Dog)” is a perfect example of their newfound techniques. During the song’s three-minute jam, a wah-pedal sounds underneath guitars and percussion that crashes like melodic pots and pans. “Boy With a Coin” may be the best song on the album, since it rolls along with steady claps. “The Devil Never Sleeps” is a two-minute blues jam with tinkling keys, a walking bass and feedback guitars.

It may take a few listens to adjust to Iron and Wine’s new album, but The Shepherd’s Dog shows how a band can mature and expand its sound in a successful way.

Hilary Saunders may be contacted at h.saunders@umiami.edu.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...