We don’t Superman no mo’

As soon as the first few steel drum notes of Soulja Boy’s song “Crank Dat” were played at last Saturday’s football game, students were out of their seats and putting up the U, waiting for Sebastian to start doing his dance.

Students were surprised to hear a cleaner, Miami Hurricanes remix played instead of Soulja Boy’s chart-topping song, which reclaimed Billboard’s top spot last Thursday.

Immediately after the game, rumors spread among students that the song was banned after a parent complained about the song’s use of the word “ho.”

Mark Pray, assistant athletic director for communications, said he had not heard anything about a parent complaint, and that the university decided to change the lyrics for other reasons.

“We thought it would be nice to have a UM version so we went to 99 Jamz and they produced a UM version,” Pray said. “We haven’t ruled out playing the other version in the future.”

Still, some students, such as the 183 members of the “Bring Back the Soulja Boy at the Orange Bowl!” Facebook group, believe the song is harmless and inspired enthusiasm and school spirit at the games.

“It really got the crowd into the game,” said Alexander Hamilton, a freshman and member of the Facebook group.

Alexander Pearce may be contacted at a.pearce@umiami.edu.

Excerpted lyrics from original version of “Crank Dat”

Soulja Boy off in this ho
Watch me lean and watch me rock
Superman dat ho
Then watch me crank dat robocop
Super fresh, now watch me jock
Jocking on them haters man
When I do dat Soulja Boy
I lean to the left and crank dat thang
Soulja Boy off in this ho
Watch me crank it
Watch me roll
Watch me crank dat Soulja Boy
Then Superman dat ho
Now watch me yuuuah
(Crank dat Soulja Boy)

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...