We don’t Superman no mo’

As soon as the first few steel drum notes of Soulja Boy’s song “Crank Dat” were played at last Saturday’s football game, students were out of their seats and putting up the U, waiting for Sebastian to start doing his dance.

Students were surprised to hear a cleaner, Miami Hurricanes remix played instead of Soulja Boy’s chart-topping song, which reclaimed Billboard’s top spot last Thursday.

Immediately after the game, rumors spread among students that the song was banned after a parent complained about the song’s use of the word “ho.”

Mark Pray, assistant athletic director for communications, said he had not heard anything about a parent complaint, and that the university decided to change the lyrics for other reasons.

“We thought it would be nice to have a UM version so we went to 99 Jamz and they produced a UM version,” Pray said. “We haven’t ruled out playing the other version in the future.”

Still, some students, such as the 183 members of the “Bring Back the Soulja Boy at the Orange Bowl!” Facebook group, believe the song is harmless and inspired enthusiasm and school spirit at the games.

“It really got the crowd into the game,” said Alexander Hamilton, a freshman and member of the Facebook group.

Alexander Pearce may be contacted at a.pearce@umiami.edu.

Excerpted lyrics from original version of “Crank Dat”

Soulja Boy off in this ho
Watch me lean and watch me rock
Superman dat ho
Then watch me crank dat robocop
Super fresh, now watch me jock
Jocking on them haters man
When I do dat Soulja Boy
I lean to the left and crank dat thang
Soulja Boy off in this ho
Watch me crank it
Watch me roll
Watch me crank dat Soulja Boy
Then Superman dat ho
Now watch me yuuuah
(Crank dat Soulja Boy)

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

UM President Julio Frenk will host a town hall meeting Monday with students, faculty, staff, and gue ...

A building at Miami Law is named in honor of Robert Dooley, who donated $1.1 million to support the ...

The use of video game technology helps physicians more accurately diagnose patients suffering from P ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...