UM’s Kingsley rocks like Radiohead, draws on King Henry VII on new EP

The 2007 release of Kingsley’s four-track “Seven Keys EP” will ensure a fanbase for the release of the full-length album in spring 2008.

It is no surprise that the poetically pungent lyrics come from published poet and front man Vic Garcia, who is finishing his Masters in Fine Arts in Creative Writing and Composition at the University of Miami. Coupled with his strong vocals, the album showcases Garcia’s cultivated talent.

The quartet includes Garcia (vocals, guitar, keyboard and harmonica), Ethan Carlson (guitar), Luke Moellman (drums and piano) and Antonio Dell’Aglio (bass).

As Garcia describes his alternative rock style on his
MySpace page, the music is “a sonic boom, [with]catchy-as-hell melodies, lots of motifs going on, great counter melodies and loads of electronic noises for the ladies.”

All the songs adhere to the formula of soft, mellow verses followed by infectious sing-along hooks which steer toward pop rock. While dark and slow at first, “Take You Home” builds into a high-energy, electric guitar-amplified rock chant. And the opener, “Last Satellite,” is a social commentary that offers a contrast to the traditional love ballads that make up the majority of the EP.

“It’s an anti-violence song,” Garcia said. “I’m using [it]as a satellite to broadcast a lot of shit going on in the world that needs changing. So if this was the last satellite on earth, I hoped that its message would be direct.”

Likened to the modern Coldplay and Radiohead, the band also draws from ancient influences Henry VII of England and Robert I of Scotland.

The “love for myth, culture and heritage” is the reason for these regal references, Garcia said on MySpace. “I wanted the band to borrow elements of the past in its presentation.”

Although the band finds inspiration in the past, their future looks bright. They can count on plenty of listeners with the triumphant effort “Seven Keys.”

Kimberly Rubenstein may be contacted at k.rubenstein@umiami.edu.

Check out Kingsley Oct. 10 at Churchill’s Pub at 11 p.m.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...