The Rock donates largest gift from a former athlete

University of Miami alumnus and actor Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and wife Dany Garcia Johnson donated $1 million on Oct. 2 to the Football Facilities Renovation Fund.

Johnson, former defensive lineman for the football team from 1991 to 1994, and Garcia Johnson, former member of the rowing team, donated the largest gift that the university has received from a former student.

Johnson described the contribution as “an unrestricted gift” for Coach Randy Shannon to use how he sees fit.

“We believe in President Shalala, in everything she has done and will continue to do for the University of Miami, and in Coach Shannon,” Johnson said.

Coach Shannon called both Johnson and Garcia Johnson “two of the finest student athletes” to attend UM.

“Every time one of our players walks through the door into the locker room, they will be reminded of what UM has meant to Dwayne and Dany and reinforce their commitment to the Hurricane family,” Shannon said.

The money will fund updated technology and renovations in football facilities including the locker room, coaches’ offices, team meeting rooms and conference rooms. In return for the donation, the football locker room will be named the Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson Locker Room.

The Football Facilities Renovation Fund is part of the Sprint for Hurricane Athletics Campaign, an initiative to raise at least $70 million over the next three years for the UM athletic department.

Blair Brettschneider may be contacted at b.brettschneider@umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...