Sports Briefs

Women’s Soccer
Dynamic freshman earns prestigious honor

The University of Miami women’s soccer team had a solid week, as they went 2-0, beating North Carolina State and No. 7 University of North Carolina.

Intertwined in the two wins were two great performances by freshman Brittney Steinbruch, who was named Atlantic Coast Conference Player of the Week for her efforts.

Steinbruch had a role in each of the Hurricanes’ goals against NC State and UNC. She recorded a goal and an assist in the 2-1 victory over NC State, and she had the lone goal in the 1-0 win over UNC. Additionally, both of her goals were game winners.

Steinbruch’s efforts have placed the Hurricanes at 2-0 in ACC play.

Men’s Tennis
Hurricanes fall at All-American Championship

Freshman Carl Sundberg and sophomore J.C. Whitner advanced to day two of the pre-qualifying at the 2007 Polo Ralph Lauren All-American Tennis Championship.

On day two, the players put up solid efforts, but they saw their runs come to an end in the third round of play, as Sundberg fell 7-6 (2), 7-6 (7), and Whitner fell 6-4, 7-5.

Women’s Tennis
Hurricanes put up good effort but lose at matches

The Miami Hurricanes women’s tennis team saw seniors Caren Seenauth and Romy Farah take the court at the pre-qualifying round of the 2007 Riviera/ITA Women’s All-American Championships.

Seenauth fought hard, advancing to the second round, but she then saw her run come to an end, as she fell 6-0, 6-2.

Farah was unable to get out of the first round, falling 6-2, 6-1.

The pair also competed in doubles play, but they were unable to win a final pre-qualifying match, losing 8-5.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...