WOMEN’S SOCCER: Miami stuns UNC Sunday

The North Carolina Tar Heels are to women’s soccer what the Boston Celtics of Bill Russell and Red Auerbach were to the NBA. They are, in other words, a dominant force.

They have won 19 NCAA championships since 1981, including last year’s. They are currently ranked No. 7 in the nation. And on a gusty Sunday afternoon, the upstart Miami Hurricanes knocked them off 1-0.

The game was physical from the beginning. Each period represented a game within itself. The first was a physical match of crawl-ball which took place under rainy skies after the game was delayed for an hour by lightning. The second was a fast paced series of attacks from both sides in the bright sunshine.

At the end, the ‘Canes celebrated as if they had just won their first national title.

“I think it just continues to help us with our confidence,” Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “We always knew and we believed.

There were a few games where we came close and this just helps us get over that hurdle. It feels good working and working and working and finally being able to break through.”

It seemed as though the roles reversed on Sunday, if only for the afternoon. The Hurricanes, the pick amongst conference coaches to finish last in the ACC during the preseason, kept absorbing body blows from the Tar Heels.

“We are a very blue collar team,” said Taliaferro. “We play with a lot of heart and passion. We talked about being disciplined and our starting confidence as far as believing we can win this game. It was true grit.”

No one displayed this work ethic more than goalie Lauren McAdam, who saved six Tar Heel shots on goal in shutting out the champions. McAdam shone particularly brightly during a ten minute stretch in the second period. She made two spectacular saves, including a dive in the 59th minute which killed UNC’s best scoring opportunity.

Freshman Brittney Steinbruch broke away from the pack into UNC territory during the 67th minute. After being run down from behind by a defenseman, Steinbruch chipped the ball between the defensemen and goalie before knocking it in. The goal gave the Hurricanes the lead, and 23 minutes later the victory.

“It feels really good,” McAdam said. “I can’t even talk right now. We’re all really happy and we worked for it. I think we really deserve it.”

The Hurricanes served notice that they are not afraid of anyone, absorbing the best shots from a juggernaut and never breaking until they had earned the victory. It is the type of win that programs are built upon.

“I don’t know what others will say,” Taliaferro said. “As far as our own confidence it is a good foundation knowing that we can do it and that we actually did it. I think it’s great for the players to be able to experience it and do it against the national champions from last year.”

Dan Stein may be contacted at d.stein4@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...