Culture

Weird News

Are two always better?

A two-headed turtle has been bought by a pet shop owner to liven up his display window and lure customers. The tiny turtle can sit comfortably on a silver dollar, and a turtle collector had raised the turtle for the first two months of its life before it became star of said pet shop in Norristown, Pa.

The “twins” share a set of back feet and one tail but there are two heads sticking out from either side of the shell. They also have separate pairs of front feet.

With a life expectancy of 15 to 20 years, the turtle seems healthy and happy with his new owners, as do they with their new superstar. The store, Big Al’s Aquarium Supercenter in East Norriton, would not disclose how much they paid for “the twins” and have yet decided on a name.

Shoe thief

A man in Kenosha, Wis. has owned up to stealing over 1,500 pairs of girls’ shoes from schools in the area.

Erik D. Heinrich made his guilty plea on Sept. 27 and told police officials that his motivation was sexual gratification. Heinrich is due to be sentenced on Oct. 23.

After searching his home in May, police found the hundreds of missing shoes held hostage in a storage unit and identified him as being the “burglar” caught on the schools’ security videotapes. Heinrich, a cable company worker, gained keys to the different schools as he worked on the schools’ wiring. The crimes were only discovered when numerous female students reported that their lockers had been tampered with and their shoes were missing.

Undoubtedly, Heinrich will receive a harsh punishment for his antics, as this is second “shoe-stealing” conviction. In 2005, he completed a year of probation and 50 hours of community service due to his bizarre fetish.

Complied by Merika Vine

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...