VOLLEYBALL: ‘Canes No Match for No. 14 Duke

After dropping their ACC home opener on Friday, the Miami volleyball team was unable to bounce back Sunday afternoon, losing 3-0 to No. 14 Duke at the Knight Sports Complex.

Sophomore Genny Mayhew led the Hurricanes with 16 kills and eight digs, but Miami’s defense was no match for the Blue Devils’ high-powered offense. With the loss, the ‘Canes fall to 8-6 on the season and 2-3 in ACC play.

“Overall, I was a little disappointed in our effort on the defensive end of the ball,” Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “Offensively we did some nice things. We ran a better offense today, we were able to get a lot more one-on-one opportunities to score but defensively we needed to be able to slow them down.”

In the first game, Duke jumped out to a 20-12 lead. Following a Miami timeout, the ‘Canes were able to rally and cut the deficit to 26-25. They were unable to score again, though, and the Blue Devils took the game 30-25.

Duke dominated the second game, leading an impressive start which produced an early 20-9 lead. Miami came back to within seven points, cutting the lead to 25-18, but the Blue Devils scored five of the final six points and won the game 30-19.

Duke lost no momentum in the third set, cruising to another 30-19 win. Their height advantage proved to be too much for the undersized Hurricanes throughout the match, tallying 64 kills to Miami’s 41.

“Their team was in system on defense and they put tremendous pressure on us throughout the match,” Lantagne Welch said.

Duke had a clear advantage on the offensive end as they were able to move the ball at a very quick and fluid pace. The Blue Devils had four players finish in double-figures, with Rachael Moss and Carrie DeMange notching 17 kills each, and Sue Carls and Jourdan Norman each scoring 10.

“They are a very hard to team to defend,” Lantagne Welch said. “But we have to rise to the occasion.”

The Hurricanes were led by Mayhew and junior Ashley Woods, who had 10 kills and a team-best scoring percentage of .625. Sophomore Cassie Loessberg also contributed with eight digs.

“They [Woods and Mayhew] did an excellent job of scoring against a strong team today,” Lantagne Welch said.

The ‘Canes will conclude their four-match homestand this week when ACC foes Clemson and Georgia Tech come to Coral Gables.

Zack Loss may be contacted at z.loss@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...