VOLLEYBALL: ‘Canes No Match for No. 14 Duke

After dropping their ACC home opener on Friday, the Miami volleyball team was unable to bounce back Sunday afternoon, losing 3-0 to No. 14 Duke at the Knight Sports Complex.

Sophomore Genny Mayhew led the Hurricanes with 16 kills and eight digs, but Miami’s defense was no match for the Blue Devils’ high-powered offense. With the loss, the ‘Canes fall to 8-6 on the season and 2-3 in ACC play.

“Overall, I was a little disappointed in our effort on the defensive end of the ball,” Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “Offensively we did some nice things. We ran a better offense today, we were able to get a lot more one-on-one opportunities to score but defensively we needed to be able to slow them down.”

In the first game, Duke jumped out to a 20-12 lead. Following a Miami timeout, the ‘Canes were able to rally and cut the deficit to 26-25. They were unable to score again, though, and the Blue Devils took the game 30-25.

Duke dominated the second game, leading an impressive start which produced an early 20-9 lead. Miami came back to within seven points, cutting the lead to 25-18, but the Blue Devils scored five of the final six points and won the game 30-19.

Duke lost no momentum in the third set, cruising to another 30-19 win. Their height advantage proved to be too much for the undersized Hurricanes throughout the match, tallying 64 kills to Miami’s 41.

“Their team was in system on defense and they put tremendous pressure on us throughout the match,” Lantagne Welch said.

Duke had a clear advantage on the offensive end as they were able to move the ball at a very quick and fluid pace. The Blue Devils had four players finish in double-figures, with Rachael Moss and Carrie DeMange notching 17 kills each, and Sue Carls and Jourdan Norman each scoring 10.

“They are a very hard to team to defend,” Lantagne Welch said. “But we have to rise to the occasion.”

The Hurricanes were led by Mayhew and junior Ashley Woods, who had 10 kills and a team-best scoring percentage of .625. Sophomore Cassie Loessberg also contributed with eight digs.

“They [Woods and Mayhew] did an excellent job of scoring against a strong team today,” Lantagne Welch said.

The ‘Canes will conclude their four-match homestand this week when ACC foes Clemson and Georgia Tech come to Coral Gables.

Zack Loss may be contacted at z.loss@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...