Contruction plan paves way for new road in 2010

The University of Miami recently revealed a construction project for a new road planned to run through the interior of the Coral Gables campus. The road will connect all of the university’s major parking lots, and construction is planned to commence during the summer of 2009.

The first stage of construction is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2010 and will include a connection from “a new entrance to campus at the intersection of Miller Road and San Amaro to the south end of the arboretum,” said Janet Gavarrete, UM’s chief planner.

The next stage will be completed by the end of 2012. It will include a road around the north end of campus across the canal and will conclude at Stanford Drive.

The university said it hopes to complete the construction in phases during the summer in order to avoid disrupting the academic semesters.

“We are in very preliminary planning at this juncture,” Gavarette said. “Construction is always present on campus in many different ways and there is minimal impact to students.”

Construction plans for such an interior road have been part of the university’s master plan since 1992, Gavarrete said, when the master plan was first adopted. The road plan has been encouraged by the city of Coral Gables and UM Neighbors as a way to connect designated parking areas on campus.

Other projects for UM include the University Village townhomes, construction of which will begin in October, and an addition to the Lowe Museum to house the 130-piece Palley glass collection.

Padma Sarvepalli may be contacted at p.sarvepalli@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...