Contruction plan paves way for new road in 2010

The University of Miami recently revealed a construction project for a new road planned to run through the interior of the Coral Gables campus. The road will connect all of the university’s major parking lots, and construction is planned to commence during the summer of 2009.

The first stage of construction is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2010 and will include a connection from “a new entrance to campus at the intersection of Miller Road and San Amaro to the south end of the arboretum,” said Janet Gavarrete, UM’s chief planner.

The next stage will be completed by the end of 2012. It will include a road around the north end of campus across the canal and will conclude at Stanford Drive.

The university said it hopes to complete the construction in phases during the summer in order to avoid disrupting the academic semesters.

“We are in very preliminary planning at this juncture,” Gavarette said. “Construction is always present on campus in many different ways and there is minimal impact to students.”

Construction plans for such an interior road have been part of the university’s master plan since 1992, Gavarrete said, when the master plan was first adopted. The road plan has been encouraged by the city of Coral Gables and UM Neighbors as a way to connect designated parking areas on campus.

Other projects for UM include the University Village townhomes, construction of which will begin in October, and an addition to the Lowe Museum to house the 130-piece Palley glass collection.

Padma Sarvepalli may be contacted at p.sarvepalli@umiami.edu.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...