Contruction plan paves way for new road in 2010

The University of Miami recently revealed a construction project for a new road planned to run through the interior of the Coral Gables campus. The road will connect all of the university’s major parking lots, and construction is planned to commence during the summer of 2009.

The first stage of construction is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2010 and will include a connection from “a new entrance to campus at the intersection of Miller Road and San Amaro to the south end of the arboretum,” said Janet Gavarrete, UM’s chief planner.

The next stage will be completed by the end of 2012. It will include a road around the north end of campus across the canal and will conclude at Stanford Drive.

The university said it hopes to complete the construction in phases during the summer in order to avoid disrupting the academic semesters.

“We are in very preliminary planning at this juncture,” Gavarette said. “Construction is always present on campus in many different ways and there is minimal impact to students.”

Construction plans for such an interior road have been part of the university’s master plan since 1992, Gavarrete said, when the master plan was first adopted. The road plan has been encouraged by the city of Coral Gables and UM Neighbors as a way to connect designated parking areas on campus.

Other projects for UM include the University Village townhomes, construction of which will begin in October, and an addition to the Lowe Museum to house the 130-piece Palley glass collection.

Padma Sarvepalli may be contacted at p.sarvepalli@umiami.edu.

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...