Chamillionaire’s victorious album

The fuss surrounding Kanye West’s “Graduation” and 50 Cent’s “Curtis” may have overshadowed “Ultimate Victory” by Chamillionaire, released a week later. And that’s a shame, since it may very well be the best of the bunch.

The first thing that jumps out from this CD is the lack of a Parental Advisory sticker. Chamillionaire has completely eliminated cursing from his disc, and it’s amazing how much more versatile the album is because of it. There’s also minimal reference to overtly sexual themes and other offensive material (and yet, somehow, there’s still enough to talk about for 19 tracks).

The CD starts off with “The Morning News,” which chastises how the media manipulates the truth: “If your class ain’t upper class, then your opinion is irrelevant.” The first single, “Hip Hop Police,” featuring Slick Rick, continues the trend of thumping beats with clever lyrics. And the hits just keep coming; “Standing Ovation” and “Won’t Let You Down” are both a bit slower but equally catchy and will have your head bopping.

The standout of the album is “Industry Groupie.” Sampling Europe’s “The Final Countdown,” Chamillionaire successfully mentions 25 of the biggest names in hip hop and integrates their catch phrases or popular songs to tell off groupies: “Like Unk said, take 2 steps toward the door and just walk it out.”

There are a few slow spots on the album. “Rock Star,” featuring Lil’ Wayne, and the ensuing skit are intriguing at first, but get old fast. Fortunately the album gets back on track with “You Must Be Crazy,” “The Evening News” (by far the deepest song) and the title track, which is a telling look into Cham’s life.

Ultimately, Chamillionaire steps up his game from his debut album and delivers a CD that is fun to listen to while also being intelligent. If success is the sweetest revenge, then this album is the ultimate victory.

Joey Held may be contacted at j.held1@umiami.edu.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...

The Canes head to the ACC Baseball Championship ranked in the top 20 in every major poll. ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team will once again represent her country ...