Stop the Bush bashing

I will never understand why people don’t stand by what they say. I can guarantee you that after Sept. 11, 2001, a majority of the people in the United States said, “Let’s take [the terrorists]out.” Why did they change their minds? Well, the answer is that people think [the war is]taking too long. President Bush said from the start that what we were doing would be a long process. He never said it would be fast and easy. Throughout our lives we have all been told not to succumb to peer pressure. So why is it that Bush comes under fire when he doesn’t give in? If he were a regular person who resisted peer pressure, he would be respected. What’s worse is the fact that he’s coming under fire by people who didn’t even vote. As a U.S. citizen, you are guaranteed the right to vote. And I personally think that anyone who didn’t vote has no right to complain. After all, they had the opportunity to do something about it. They themselves are the dumb ones, not Bush. Contrary to popular belief, President Bush is not a dumb person. The man graduated from Yale and Harvard, and before you start thinking it, shut up-you cannot buy your way into those schools. He has done some great things while in office. He pushed through a $1.3 trillion tax cut program, created the No Child Left Behind Act, lowered unemployment to around 4.6 percent and took out Saddam Hussein. Hussein tested biological weapons in towns of his own country! By eliminating Hussein, Bush has saved Iraqis, not condemned them. It’s not Bush’s fault that we are in a war. If we want to place blame, it should be on former President Clinton. He had an opportunity to capture Osama bin Laden (whom the U.S. had put into power to begin with). Bush is just trying to clean up Clinton’s mess. So next time you’re about to go on a Bush-bashing tirade, remember that just because you have freedom of speech does not mean that everyone wants to listen.

– Richard Lyons, freshman

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...