Stop the Bush bashing

I will never understand why people don’t stand by what they say. I can guarantee you that after Sept. 11, 2001, a majority of the people in the United States said, “Let’s take [the terrorists]out.” Why did they change their minds? Well, the answer is that people think [the war is]taking too long. President Bush said from the start that what we were doing would be a long process. He never said it would be fast and easy. Throughout our lives we have all been told not to succumb to peer pressure. So why is it that Bush comes under fire when he doesn’t give in? If he were a regular person who resisted peer pressure, he would be respected. What’s worse is the fact that he’s coming under fire by people who didn’t even vote. As a U.S. citizen, you are guaranteed the right to vote. And I personally think that anyone who didn’t vote has no right to complain. After all, they had the opportunity to do something about it. They themselves are the dumb ones, not Bush. Contrary to popular belief, President Bush is not a dumb person. The man graduated from Yale and Harvard, and before you start thinking it, shut up-you cannot buy your way into those schools. He has done some great things while in office. He pushed through a $1.3 trillion tax cut program, created the No Child Left Behind Act, lowered unemployment to around 4.6 percent and took out Saddam Hussein. Hussein tested biological weapons in towns of his own country! By eliminating Hussein, Bush has saved Iraqis, not condemned them. It’s not Bush’s fault that we are in a war. If we want to place blame, it should be on former President Clinton. He had an opportunity to capture Osama bin Laden (whom the U.S. had put into power to begin with). Bush is just trying to clean up Clinton’s mess. So next time you’re about to go on a Bush-bashing tirade, remember that just because you have freedom of speech does not mean that everyone wants to listen.

– Richard Lyons, freshman

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...