Stop the Bush bashing

I will never understand why people don’t stand by what they say. I can guarantee you that after Sept. 11, 2001, a majority of the people in the United States said, “Let’s take [the terrorists]out.” Why did they change their minds? Well, the answer is that people think [the war is]taking too long. President Bush said from the start that what we were doing would be a long process. He never said it would be fast and easy. Throughout our lives we have all been told not to succumb to peer pressure. So why is it that Bush comes under fire when he doesn’t give in? If he were a regular person who resisted peer pressure, he would be respected. What’s worse is the fact that he’s coming under fire by people who didn’t even vote. As a U.S. citizen, you are guaranteed the right to vote. And I personally think that anyone who didn’t vote has no right to complain. After all, they had the opportunity to do something about it. They themselves are the dumb ones, not Bush. Contrary to popular belief, President Bush is not a dumb person. The man graduated from Yale and Harvard, and before you start thinking it, shut up-you cannot buy your way into those schools. He has done some great things while in office. He pushed through a $1.3 trillion tax cut program, created the No Child Left Behind Act, lowered unemployment to around 4.6 percent and took out Saddam Hussein. Hussein tested biological weapons in towns of his own country! By eliminating Hussein, Bush has saved Iraqis, not condemned them. It’s not Bush’s fault that we are in a war. If we want to place blame, it should be on former President Clinton. He had an opportunity to capture Osama bin Laden (whom the U.S. had put into power to begin with). Bush is just trying to clean up Clinton’s mess. So next time you’re about to go on a Bush-bashing tirade, remember that just because you have freedom of speech does not mean that everyone wants to listen.

– Richard Lyons, freshman

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...