Matchup: Miami v. Duke

Click here for the game preview.

OFFENSE

Miami had 402 total yards on offense and scored 34 points last Thursday. Duke put up 43 points last week and have upgraded at the quarterback and receivers positions.
Advantage: MIAMI

QUARTERBACKS

Kyle Wright is riding high with confidence after his best overall game of his career. Duke’s Thaddeus Lewis has kept the Blue Devils competitive. Lewis has thrown for 959 yards and nine touchdowns, but has five interceptions.
Advantage: EVEN

O-LINE

Miami’s unit had an outstanding performance last week and provided time for Kyle Wright in the pocket all night. The line allowed only two sacks and has improved greatly this season. Duke has allowed 10 sacks through four games and must play its best game against a talented Miami defense.
Advantage: MIAMI

RUNNING BACKS

Javarris James and Graig Cooper combined for three touchdowns last week. James and Cooper have lost a combined three fumbles this season and need to take better care of the football. Duke has struggled to run the football. Re’quan Boyette leads the team with just 89 rushing yards and has averaged 3.7 yards per carry.
Advantage: MIAMI

RECEIVERS

Sam Shields erased a disappointing start to the season with 118 receiving yards last week. Darnell Jenkins is not afraid to make plays in the middle of the field and has turned into a reliable target. Duke wide receiver Eron Riley has 370 receiving yards and four touchdowns while Jomar Wright has two touchdowns.
Advantage: EVEN

DEFENSE

Miami’s defense proved it still ranks amongst the best in the country. Duke has allowed 32.2 points per game and has given up 464.2 total yards per game.
Advantage: MIAMI

D-LINE

Miami’s unit was dominant against Texas A&M. Eric Moncur set the tone on the first drive and Antonio Dixon came back from injury to make an impact. Duke’s front four has not contributed in stopping the run. The unit is led by Vince Oghobaase, who has 1.5 sacks and five tackles for a loss.
Advantage: MIAMI

LINEBACKERS

Miami’s linebackers were active in the backfield and stopped the run last week. Colin McCarthy recorded his first career interception while Spencer Adkins made his presence felt with some big hits. Duke’s Vincent Ray has 49 tackles, but the Blue Devils have given up 191 yards rushing per game.
Advantage: MIAMI

SECONDARY

Miami’s secondary has shown promise after Oklahoma. Safeties Willie Cooper and Randy Phillips have come on strong the past couple weeks. Duke has allowed 273.2 passing yards per game and allowed Navy to pass for two touchdowns last week.
Advantage: MIAMI

SPECIAL TEAMS

Miami must find a reliable punter heading into ACC play. Francesco Zampogna must improve on his consistency from short-range distance. Duke’s kicking game has been disastrous. Joe Surgan is just 4-for-6 in PAT’s while 1-for-4 in field goal attempts. The Blue Devils feature kick returner Jabari Marshall, who has one touchdown.
Advantage: MIAMI

Saturday’s game will be broadcast on WVUM 90.5 FM begining at noon.