Happiness can be ‘Hot Hot Hot’

Recently, bands have been taking risks and releasing albums that stray from their usual musical style. Sometimes it works (The Killers’ “Sam’s Town”), but at other times it really doesn’t (Bloc Party’s “A Weekend in the City”). Either way, it tends to upset die-hard fans, leaving them asking questions like “Where’s the synth?” or “How come the chorus isn’t as catchy as it used to be?”

For Hot Hot Heat, the band is primarily known for their poppy dance anthems such as “Bandages” and “Goodnight Goodnight.” On their recent release “Happiness Ltd.,” the Canadian quartet doesn’t shy away from the pop, but grows into a darker sound that suits them. On tracks like “Outta Heart,” singer Steve Bays is impressive and puts his emotions into his writing, crying out, “I’m outta my soul/I’m out in the dark/I’m outta my mind.”

Older fans of their poppy songs need not worry. Tracks like “Harmonicas & Tambourines” should provide enough fast tempo rhythm and synth to please. “Waiting for Nothing,” the last track on the album, can definitely be classified as an arena rock anthem. Their first single, “Let Me In,” should also go over well with fans and give them a taste as to what to expect on “Happiness Ltd.”

There will certainly be comparisons to The Killers, as Hot Hot Heat’s musical transition seems to be patterned after the boys from Vegas. Although Hot Hot Heat is stepping away from the indie music scene, things sound pretty good so far, and this album will push them into the mainstream.

Marcos Col

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...