Happiness can be ‘Hot Hot Hot’

Recently, bands have been taking risks and releasing albums that stray from their usual musical style. Sometimes it works (The Killers’ “Sam’s Town”), but at other times it really doesn’t (Bloc Party’s “A Weekend in the City”). Either way, it tends to upset die-hard fans, leaving them asking questions like “Where’s the synth?” or “How come the chorus isn’t as catchy as it used to be?”

For Hot Hot Heat, the band is primarily known for their poppy dance anthems such as “Bandages” and “Goodnight Goodnight.” On their recent release “Happiness Ltd.,” the Canadian quartet doesn’t shy away from the pop, but grows into a darker sound that suits them. On tracks like “Outta Heart,” singer Steve Bays is impressive and puts his emotions into his writing, crying out, “I’m outta my soul/I’m out in the dark/I’m outta my mind.”

Older fans of their poppy songs need not worry. Tracks like “Harmonicas & Tambourines” should provide enough fast tempo rhythm and synth to please. “Waiting for Nothing,” the last track on the album, can definitely be classified as an arena rock anthem. Their first single, “Let Me In,” should also go over well with fans and give them a taste as to what to expect on “Happiness Ltd.”

There will certainly be comparisons to The Killers, as Hot Hot Heat’s musical transition seems to be patterned after the boys from Vegas. Although Hot Hot Heat is stepping away from the indie music scene, things sound pretty good so far, and this album will push them into the mainstream.

Marcos Col

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...