Happiness can be ‘Hot Hot Hot’

Recently, bands have been taking risks and releasing albums that stray from their usual musical style. Sometimes it works (The Killers’ “Sam’s Town”), but at other times it really doesn’t (Bloc Party’s “A Weekend in the City”). Either way, it tends to upset die-hard fans, leaving them asking questions like “Where’s the synth?” or “How come the chorus isn’t as catchy as it used to be?”

For Hot Hot Heat, the band is primarily known for their poppy dance anthems such as “Bandages” and “Goodnight Goodnight.” On their recent release “Happiness Ltd.,” the Canadian quartet doesn’t shy away from the pop, but grows into a darker sound that suits them. On tracks like “Outta Heart,” singer Steve Bays is impressive and puts his emotions into his writing, crying out, “I’m outta my soul/I’m out in the dark/I’m outta my mind.”

Older fans of their poppy songs need not worry. Tracks like “Harmonicas & Tambourines” should provide enough fast tempo rhythm and synth to please. “Waiting for Nothing,” the last track on the album, can definitely be classified as an arena rock anthem. Their first single, “Let Me In,” should also go over well with fans and give them a taste as to what to expect on “Happiness Ltd.”

There will certainly be comparisons to The Killers, as Hot Hot Heat’s musical transition seems to be patterned after the boys from Vegas. Although Hot Hot Heat is stepping away from the indie music scene, things sound pretty good so far, and this album will push them into the mainstream.

Marcos Col

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...