Halloween Ibis shuttle canceled

With Halloween about a month away, Patricia A. Whitely met with Student Government Wednesday morning to discuss the Ibis Ride to the Grove. Whitely said the special shuttle service was canceled for various reasons.

Last year the Halloween Ibis Ride was canceled after nearly a hundred students, many of whom were intoxicated, scrambled to board only three shuttles in what witnesses described as a “bum rush.” Police were involved in calming the crowd, and while no one was seriously injured, the disorganization prompted the Dean of Students office to form a committee to reassess the Halloween Ibis Ride. That committee then issued a decision to cancel the Halloween shuttle to the Grove.

Following the initial cancellation, Student Government President Danny Carvajal and Speaker Brandon Gross met with Whitely to form a shuttle review committee that would consist of students, administrators, University of Miami Police Department staff and traffic engineers. Despite UMPD’s Chief of Police David Rivero’s statement that students would be protected from the dangers of drunken driving if shuttles are provided, Whitely’s office has maintained the ban on this year’s Halloween shuttle.

“The principle is that we are never going to do it in the middle of the week,” Whitely said. “It disrupts the academic schedule.”
The decision came after rejecting a SG proposal that would have accommodated 500 students on ten coach buses.

“The recommendation would be a going-caravan that would depart from campus around 9 p.m. and a returning-caravan around 2 a.m.,” Carvajal said in a SG meeting earlier this month. “It’s costly-about $12,000 to $15,000-but it’s worth pursuing and pushing the administration.”

Whitely explained the decision to forgo the popular Halloween shuttle this year was based on logistical concerns. She said it is easier to provide shuttles on Thursdays, Fridays and weekends because there is already a system in place.

“I know that next year Halloween falls on a Friday, and we will strongly consider working with the shuttles to plan for that,” Whitely said.

Kelly Herson may be contacted at k.herson@umiami.edu.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...