Festival Miami showcases multicultural rhythms

Fans can snap their fingers and tap their feet as the “swinging Brazilian jazz machine,” Nosso Trio, jams through the evening. They can also dance to the rhythmic beat of salsa music performed by Hansel Y La Orquesta Calle Ocho, or treat themselves to a performance of Haydn’s “The Creation” by the Frost Symphony Orchestra and Frost Choral. Whatever the choice, music lovers can enjoy a culturally diverse musical setting at this year’s 24th annual Festival Miami, which begins this Saturday and runs through Nov. 10.

The festival, founded in 1984 by William Hipp, former dean of the Frost School of Music, has drawn in music followers from all over South Florida for the past 23 years. Serving as an educational and entertainment forum, Festival Miami offers live performances by jazz, classical and Latin musicians from around the world, including award-winning staff, faculty and students of the university.

Shelton “Shelly” Berg, the Frost School’s new dean, will be among this year’s performers. As a world-renowned jazz pianist, conductor, composer and arranger, Berg has collaborated with a wide array of artists, including KISS and Ray Charles.

In his Oct. 11 performance, Berg will join forces with the Bergonzi String Quartet, Luciano Magnanini and Don Coffman, all faculty members of the university.

“This festival is a great cross section of just about every type of music featuring everything from world-renowned outside performers, to our own world-renowned faculty, to our very best students,” Berg said. “I look forward to the mixture of all those people coming together and bringing great culture to this campus.”

Many students are curious to find out what Berg can do.

“He’s the dean of the music school, so he should be an awesome musician,” freshman flute player Alyssa Kassler said. “I think he’s setting a really good example. It makes me want to perform. Next year, I want to do Festival Miami.”

Performances will be take place at the Maurice Gusman Concert Hall with tickets ranging from free to $60 depending on the seats and the event.

For tickets and information visit www.festivalmiami.com or call (305) 284-4940

Click here for a schedule of events.

Joshua Newman may be contacted at j.newman4@umiami.edu and Brittnay Starks may be contacted at b.starks@umiami.edu.

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...