Sports Briefs

CROSS COUNTRY
Men’s and women’s teams take fifth

The University of Miami men’s and women’s cross country teams both placed fifth at the Bulldog Stampede Invitational in Athens, Ga.

The men’s six-man squad was led by senior Alex Paley, who finished 22nd in the 8,000-meters. Junior Andrew Chuplis finished 34th, junior Ryan Woodlee finished 41st, junior Vincent Giambanco finished 42nd, freshman Greg Grosicki finished 48th and junior Eric Miller finished 53rd.

On the women’s side, senior Delia Phlatts led the ‘Canes with a 23rd place finish. Hurricanes following Phlatts to the finish line were freshman Caitlin Knapp, who finished 33rd; junior Ena Leufroy, who finished 34th; freshman Donna Cheung, who finished 36th; freshman Katherine Woodard, who finished 42nd; senior Jessica Fern, who finished 52nd; and junior Anika Arevalo, who finished 56th.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

MEN’S TENNIS
Season finishes at Southern Intercollegiate Championship

The Miami Hurricanes men’s tennis team closed out play at the Southern Intercollegiate Championships this weekend. The Hurricanes made a good run at it, but sophomore Barnabas Carrega fell to Georgia’s Josh Varela in straight sets. Carrega had received a first round bye and defeated Morehead State’s Charles Williams to advance to round 32, where he came up short.

Sophomore Westin Wendt fell in his Division III consolation match against Middle Tennessee’s Derrick Davidson. The duo of Carrega and sophomore Hector Nieto fell in their Division II doubles match.

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Apollo 11 astronaut’s moonwalk, which took place 50 years ago Saturday, is remembered by members of ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

The ITA released Thursday its academic accolades for the 2018-19 season and the University of Miami ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...