Sports Briefs

CROSS COUNTRY
Men’s and women’s teams take fifth

The University of Miami men’s and women’s cross country teams both placed fifth at the Bulldog Stampede Invitational in Athens, Ga.

The men’s six-man squad was led by senior Alex Paley, who finished 22nd in the 8,000-meters. Junior Andrew Chuplis finished 34th, junior Ryan Woodlee finished 41st, junior Vincent Giambanco finished 42nd, freshman Greg Grosicki finished 48th and junior Eric Miller finished 53rd.

On the women’s side, senior Delia Phlatts led the ‘Canes with a 23rd place finish. Hurricanes following Phlatts to the finish line were freshman Caitlin Knapp, who finished 33rd; junior Ena Leufroy, who finished 34th; freshman Donna Cheung, who finished 36th; freshman Katherine Woodard, who finished 42nd; senior Jessica Fern, who finished 52nd; and junior Anika Arevalo, who finished 56th.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

MEN’S TENNIS
Season finishes at Southern Intercollegiate Championship

The Miami Hurricanes men’s tennis team closed out play at the Southern Intercollegiate Championships this weekend. The Hurricanes made a good run at it, but sophomore Barnabas Carrega fell to Georgia’s Josh Varela in straight sets. Carrega had received a first round bye and defeated Morehead State’s Charles Williams to advance to round 32, where he came up short.

Sophomore Westin Wendt fell in his Division III consolation match against Middle Tennessee’s Derrick Davidson. The duo of Carrega and sophomore Hector Nieto fell in their Division II doubles match.

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...