‘Spirit of the U’ commemorative cereal launched

Fusion Innovative Marketing, a multimedia marketing firm, recently announced the release of three different commemorative cereal boxes featuring University of Miami, University of Florida and Florida State University available at Publix Supermarkets.

The “Spirit of the U” box features a cartoon Sebastian on the front and various trivia about UM on the back, including the history behind the university’s colors of orange, green and white and its nickname “The U.”

Jay Freedman, managing partner of Fusion, said that he is a former Hurricane, and he thinks the cereal boxes will be “something great for the fans.”

“We are thrilled to bring this to South Florida and [we]hope that each year to come [there]will be a new box that captures the spirit of the U,” Freedman said.

Although the campaign is targeting university fans, will students choose UM Frosted Flakes over their usual choice of cereal?

“I don’t want to pay anything extra for it,” Katharine Woodard, a freshman, said. “I’ll stick to the generic brand, thank you very much.”

“Maybe I’d buy it if they had University of Miami Lucky Charms,” Andrew Blumenthal, a freshman, said. “They could have Sebastian and U-shaped marshmallows.”

Other students are more positive about the idea.

“When you’re walking up and down the lines of Publix, you need something to draw your attention and that would do it for me,” Ben Vipler. “I’d probably buy it and put it on my wall.”

Caitlin Knapp may be contacted at cknapp@umiami.edu.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...