‘Spirit of the U’ commemorative cereal launched

Fusion Innovative Marketing, a multimedia marketing firm, recently announced the release of three different commemorative cereal boxes featuring University of Miami, University of Florida and Florida State University available at Publix Supermarkets.

The “Spirit of the U” box features a cartoon Sebastian on the front and various trivia about UM on the back, including the history behind the university’s colors of orange, green and white and its nickname “The U.”

Jay Freedman, managing partner of Fusion, said that he is a former Hurricane, and he thinks the cereal boxes will be “something great for the fans.”

“We are thrilled to bring this to South Florida and [we] hope that each year to come [there] will be a new box that captures the spirit of the U,” Freedman said.

Although the campaign is targeting university fans, will students choose UM Frosted Flakes over their usual choice of cereal?

“I don’t want to pay anything extra for it,” Katharine Woodard, a freshman, said. “I’ll stick to the generic brand, thank you very much.”

“Maybe I’d buy it if they had University of Miami Lucky Charms,” Andrew Blumenthal, a freshman, said. “They could have Sebastian and U-shaped marshmallows.”

Other students are more positive about the idea.

“When you’re walking up and down the lines of Publix, you need something to draw your attention and that would do it for me,” Ben Vipler. “I’d probably buy it and put it on my wall.”

Caitlin Knapp may be contacted at cknapp@umiami.edu.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...