SOCCER: ‘Canes defeat Hatters 2-1 despite rain delay

It wasn’t the traditional route to victory, but a two hour and 25 minute rain delay couldn’t keep the Miami Hurricanes soccer team down, as they held on to a 2-1 victory over the Stetson Hatters Friday night.

The delay, beginning at halftime, held the game up until after 10:20 p.m., when both teams took the field in front of a much smaller crowd. The slick field affected play, as shots went up, but no goals were scored in the second half.

“I’m pleased overall,” Miami Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “It was a difficult game to play with the rain and then the time delay. But I’m very proud that we were able to come out and keep our intensity up, and actually create more shots in the second half.”

Miami (4-2-2) got it going early, by beating the Stetson (2-3-1) defense in the sixth minute. Lauren Singer hit a sparkling header served up off a cross from Brittney Steinbruch, both freshmen. That earned Miami the lead and a hat for one lucky fan thanks to Miami’s new “Hat for a Header” promotion.

They extended their lead in the 19th minute, thanks to a 25-yard shot from Steinbruch, assisted by Rachael Rigamat and goalkeeper Lauren McAdam. Steinbruch now moves into a four-way tie for fourth place all time in single-season goals with nine in just her eighth game – she has 11 more to go for first place.

Miami controlled the ball for most of the first half, but the defense slipped in the 42nd minute, as Stetson’s Bethany Kiedis crossed and Jessica Spencer hammered it home, making it a one-goal game.

Then came the half and the rain. After the break Miami controlled the game, shooting seven more times than Stetson (10-3). Even though there was no scoring, the dominant performance reinforced the win for the ‘Canes.

Miami now heads into the tough Atlantic Coast Conference, beginning with a match Thursday night against North Carolina State at 7 p.m. in Cobb Stadium.

“I think it’s good momentum heading into ACC play,” Taliaferro said.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...