SOCCER: ‘Canes defeat Hatters 2-1 despite rain delay

It wasn’t the traditional route to victory, but a two hour and 25 minute rain delay couldn’t keep the Miami Hurricanes soccer team down, as they held on to a 2-1 victory over the Stetson Hatters Friday night.

The delay, beginning at halftime, held the game up until after 10:20 p.m., when both teams took the field in front of a much smaller crowd. The slick field affected play, as shots went up, but no goals were scored in the second half.

“I’m pleased overall,” Miami Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “It was a difficult game to play with the rain and then the time delay. But I’m very proud that we were able to come out and keep our intensity up, and actually create more shots in the second half.”

Miami (4-2-2) got it going early, by beating the Stetson (2-3-1) defense in the sixth minute. Lauren Singer hit a sparkling header served up off a cross from Brittney Steinbruch, both freshmen. That earned Miami the lead and a hat for one lucky fan thanks to Miami’s new “Hat for a Header” promotion.

They extended their lead in the 19th minute, thanks to a 25-yard shot from Steinbruch, assisted by Rachael Rigamat and goalkeeper Lauren McAdam. Steinbruch now moves into a four-way tie for fourth place all time in single-season goals with nine in just her eighth game – she has 11 more to go for first place.

Miami controlled the ball for most of the first half, but the defense slipped in the 42nd minute, as Stetson’s Bethany Kiedis crossed and Jessica Spencer hammered it home, making it a one-goal game.

Then came the half and the rain. After the break Miami controlled the game, shooting seven more times than Stetson (10-3). Even though there was no scoring, the dominant performance reinforced the win for the ‘Canes.

Miami now heads into the tough Atlantic Coast Conference, beginning with a match Thursday night against North Carolina State at 7 p.m. in Cobb Stadium.

“I think it’s good momentum heading into ACC play,” Taliaferro said.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...