Our president is a buffoon, but the joke’s on U.S.

In my public speaking class, each person offered a topic for an upcoming group project. I offered the most obvious topic: The war in Iraq. I was hit with responses of, “Does anyone care about the war?” and “Do people even know what the war is about?” I was asked to explain our military occupation, and I suggested that my classmates Google it. News polls show that a large percentage of Americans do not have a clue about this war but I guess anything is possible in a country run by a president who has become the nation’s quintessential dumbass.

For nearly eight years, Bush has given America endless comedic material. Saturday Night Live showed President Bush’s idiocy and childlike behavior through Will Ferrell’s mastery of impersonation. Frank Caliendo mastered the dim-witted Texas twang on MADtv. Comedy Central is no amateur at creating Bush-related humor either. This summer’s “Transformers” portrayed Bush as a bed-lounging, Ding Dong-craving president aboard Air Force One. Clearly he’s not the smartest gunslinger in the Lone Star State.

It’s heartbreaking that our country is being managed by a caricature of a walking cartoon. Good observers will always find fault or idiosyncrasies in people, but never has a president been the brunt of so many jokes. Our president’s portrayal as an incoherent buffoon is far from adoration. He has transcended mockery as a form of flattery. Now the joke is on the American people who felt it necessary to reelect him.

Despite the many laughs Jon Stewart gives us on a nightly basis with his updates on “Mess O’ Potamia,” any person who is not clouded by right-wing endearment must realize the great embarrassment our country has suffered as our actions have slowly isolated us from everyone else. As the rest of the world watches our every move, a cartoon portraying Dick Cheney as a little boy who grunts and eats live animals doesn’t help our image. If Osama bin Laden has cable in his cave, he is certainly being entertained at our expense.

Fortunately and unfortunately, time is dwindling for Bush-related humor as his second term slowly comes to an end. The next elected president may lend his or herself to more comedic antics; we will have to wait two years to find out. No candidate will ever be safe from Jon Stewart, David Letterman and Matt Stone and Trey Parker of “South Park” (who have already made Hillary Clinton and her private parts the joke of an episode). If nothing good has come out of President Bush’s tenure in the White House, at least we’ve shared a lot of laughs. Unfortunately, these laughs come with great pain and suffering for our country and the rest of the planet.

Sam Rega is a senior majoring in motion pictures and philosophy. He may be contacted at s.rega@umiami.edu. Visit his personal blog at samrega.blogspot.com.

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...