COMMENTARY: Miami rules Thursday game

See Also: Game Coverage and Report Card

Spectacular. Amazing. Remarkable.

Those are the only words that can describe the Orange Bowl last Thursday night.

Many forgot what it felt like to win a big game in that stadium, on the national stage, in such a dominant fashion.

Hurricanes everywhere were reminded last Thursday.

You could tell from the beginning that something was different. An early three-and-out by the A&M offense, where they seemed to be moving backwards every single play, made people think, “That was exactly what they didn’t need to do.” Then the ‘Canes go 5-for-5 on third down conversions, capping off the best drive in anyone’s memory with a direct-snap touchdown to freshman sensation Graig Cooper.

After waiting for two years, the signature victory finally came.

Sparkling defense: shutting down one of the best offenses in the country. Surprising quarterback play: Kyle Wright finally deciding to show up after more than two years. Entertaining play calling: Patrick Nix dialing up the long ball and trying out direct snaps. And, most importantly, electricity from the stands that charged up every single play.

After halftime, the temptation was just too much. I left the press box, went downstairs, and dove headfirst into the sea of humanity that was the student section. Television could not convey the insanity. The students did everything they could to influence the game without hopping onto the field themselves. Watching those first five minutes of that second half, cheering and yelling with my friends and classmates-there hasn’t been anything else like it. There’s no substitute for getting down in the stands and really feeling the magic that emanates from the students.

And with this glee comes a degree of sadness, reminiscing about our old OB. While last Thursday’s attendance was just around 44,000, it was the loudest 44,000 fans Miami has seen in a long time. The West End Zone crew was insane, the students came and stayed, and the stadium shined in its glory, with that light breeze blowing in through the open end zone and that gorgeous view of the Miami skyline off in the distance. That’s Miami football. And it won’t be like that anymore.

So savor this victory. Not only does it put Miami back on the map; not only does it supercharge the team heading into Atlantic Coast Conference play; but it allows us, for one final time, to remember what the Orange Bowl is: the home, forever and always of Miami football, the way it’s supposed to be. Here’s to the memory of fans cheering raucously, of lights shining down and of a fantastic Hurricane victory. It doesn’t get much better than that.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...