Ahmadinejad: Don’t nuke me, Bro

Because Adolf Hitler couldn’t make it, Columbia University President Lee Bollinger went down one spot on the list of anti-Semitic world leaders and invited Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to speak at Columbia’s World Leaders Forum today.

Ahmadinejad-who is best known for his adamant write-off of the Holocaust as “a myth,” his call for the annihilation of Israel and his nation’s poorly concealed nuclear ambitions-readily accepted the invitation, no doubt seeing it as an opportunity to take advantage of a liberty that he doesn’t even offer his own people: free speech. More specifically free hate speech.

Bollinger is seemingly trying to set an example in all of the wrong ways. He has said that he isn’t “afraid of words,” but is he afraid of Iran-generated missiles? He also insists that “[Columbia University is] in the business of finding facts and exposing darkness to light,” which apparently puts both the United Nations and the CIA out of a job. The too-little, too-late unveiling of one of the world’s most oppressive leaders isn’t Columbia’s red flag to wave.

To keep one’s friends close and one’s enemies closer is one thing. However, to provide one’s enemy with a provocative stage for his equally provocative platform merely sets fire to an ego that is already doused in gasoline.

If Ahmadinejad’s threat of killing Jews wasn’t reason enough for Bollinger to rescind his invitation, does he have to actually kill (more of) them? Then would he be taken more seriously?

Is Ahmadinejad the new Hitler? If he was, Columbia University still would have invited him, according to John Coatsworth, Columbia’s interim dean of the School of International and Public Affairs, who told Fox News, “If [Hitler] were willing to engage in a debate and a discussion, to be challenged by Columbia students and faculty, we would certainly invite him.” That right there is what public relations dreams are made of.

The marketplace of ideas is essential in a free society. There is no doubt that it is important to provide some sort of forum for different voices to be heard. But where do we draw the line? Would Columbia (or any other university) have invited Saddam Hussein? A Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan? Doubtful.

One saving grace for today’s event is the equal division of Ahmadinejad’s time between his speaking and his responding to hard-hitting inquiries from the audience.

Hopefully someone flew Andrew Meyer to New York to ask some questions.

University of Miami’s new/old starting quarterback Malik Rosier thought his college football career ...

You know what the infamous N’Kosi Perry wads-o’-cash video brings to mind for me? The good old days. ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday evening: ▪ Would you like a greater understanding of why ...

As the college football season continues toward the finish line, Bovada updated its odds on who can ...

More misfortune for the University of Miami football program. University of Miami freshman running b ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

Miami's offense has shown consistent improvement in practice and it is eager to shine on Friday ...

The University of Miami volleyball program closes out its homestand against instate rival Florida St ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami women's basketball placed fifth in the ACC Coaches' predicted order of finish, w ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up competition Tuesday at the ITA Southeast R ...