Constitution Day discussion emphasizes students’ role in democracy

Eight students gathered in Eaton Apt. 108 on Monday night to save the university from being cut off from federal funding. No, there wasn’t a rally, protest or sit-in; only a discussion about the oldest national Constitution still in use.

Congress issued a statute in 2004 requiring all schools that receive federal funding to host a program every year on Sept. 17, the day the constitution was ratified in 1789. Sen. Robert Byrd (WV) added the amendment in order to spread awareness and educate each generation about the U.S. Constitution.

Michael Froomkin and Mario Barnes, both professors in the School of Law, along with Randall Marshall, legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida, discussed executive action post-9/11, authorization for use of military force and the controversy caused by the Bush Administration in regards to straying from the precedents set by the Constitution.

Barnes said he believes that the reach of the executive branch has spilled over into the legislative branch, resulting in a violation of the separation of power.

“Congress has given a lot of authorization to the president, and they are basically saying, ‘Do what you need to do to get the bad guys’,” Barnes said.

Froomkin believes that democracy is withering, but has suggestions for students to prevent further decay.

“Be visible and be virtual,” Froomkin said. “In order to be informed you have to go beyond mass media because they’re only reporting on select news. Also, once you’ve worked out what you believe in, become visible because right now protest is non-existent.”

Toward the end of the discussion, the three men decided that their hope for the future lies with younger generations.

“Students have always had an amazing ability to organize that which is pure in our democracy,” Barnes said. “I think part of what it means to be a student is to realize the values we hold dear.”

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...