Constitution Day discussion emphasizes students’ role in democracy

Eight students gathered in Eaton Apt. 108 on Monday night to save the university from being cut off from federal funding. No, there wasn’t a rally, protest or sit-in; only a discussion about the oldest national Constitution still in use.

Congress issued a statute in 2004 requiring all schools that receive federal funding to host a program every year on Sept. 17, the day the constitution was ratified in 1789. Sen. Robert Byrd (WV) added the amendment in order to spread awareness and educate each generation about the U.S. Constitution.

Michael Froomkin and Mario Barnes, both professors in the School of Law, along with Randall Marshall, legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida, discussed executive action post-9/11, authorization for use of military force and the controversy caused by the Bush Administration in regards to straying from the precedents set by the Constitution.

Barnes said he believes that the reach of the executive branch has spilled over into the legislative branch, resulting in a violation of the separation of power.

“Congress has given a lot of authorization to the president, and they are basically saying, ‘Do what you need to do to get the bad guys’,” Barnes said.

Froomkin believes that democracy is withering, but has suggestions for students to prevent further decay.

“Be visible and be virtual,” Froomkin said. “In order to be informed you have to go beyond mass media because they’re only reporting on select news. Also, once you’ve worked out what you believe in, become visible because right now protest is non-existent.”

Toward the end of the discussion, the three men decided that their hope for the future lies with younger generations.

“Students have always had an amazing ability to organize that which is pure in our democracy,” Barnes said. “I think part of what it means to be a student is to realize the values we hold dear.”

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...