The King of Conscious Rap returns with “Eardrum”

True hip hop titan Talib Kweli returns to take his residence in our ears again with his new album “Eardrum.” The new album is Kweli’s fifth solo effort, and it is undoubtedly his most ingeniously crafted. He has always been admired for his brilliant lyricism and has always incorporated intellectual views and subject matter into a genre that is normally criticized for lack of substance.

The album opens with “Everything Man,” which features a spoken word poet explaining the way she fell in love with the rapper who is “always punctual with his mouth.” Kweli then breaks into “Say Somethin’,” in which he boasts his lyricism and invites any MC out there to even dare to challenge him. Later in the album, he spits a sex ballad of sorts as he puts us “In the Mood” over comrade Kanye West’s upbeat melody. Kweli follows this track with the beautifully soft song “Soon the New Day” featuring Norah Jones, which is about the fun of going out and one-night stands. Hip hop master poet KRS-One makes an apperance on “The Perfect Beat,” where KRS’ style apparently rubs off on Kweli and we hear the hard-hitting bars we are accustomed to from Kweli’s old days. Finally, on “Listen,” the album’s single, he compellingly gets us to lend him our ears for his lecture on our nation and the state of hip hop, and where they both seem to be headed. He has a way of getting his messages across without having to use gimmicks; he is simply, as he says, “Loud as a whisper, quiet as a lion’s roar.”

Kweli says, “I believe, no scratch that I know, this ain’t my full potential/Only using 10 percent of my mental on instrumentals,” which is great news for us because there is so much more brilliance to come from this masterful lyricist. Kweli’s album is perfect for the true fans of real hip hop.

Dan Buyanovsky may be contacted at Danbuyanovsky@yahoo.com.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...