Make new friends but keep the old.

V,

I’m a freshman this year and I’m having the best time. The girls on my floor are awesome and things are just going really well. I’m already really close with my new friends and we spend a lot of time together. My best friend from home keeps getting mad at me for not calling her as much as I used to. She’s going to community college and is still living at home with her parents so she’s kind of lonely. I love her to death, but I honestly don’t really have the time. Am I am horrible friend?

~Busy Signal

Dear Reader,

First off, you’re not a horrible friend. Maybe a little selfish (kidding.kind of), but not horrible. Consider for a moment what your friend must be going through. She’s a college student stuck at home and subject to her parent’s wrath. She probably still has to take out the trash and chauffeur her little brother to soccer practice. Meanwhile, her best friend is free to gallivant around South Beach and stumble home at 5 a.m. She’s knows you’re not spending all your time studying like you may say and has the Facebook pictures to prove it.

Try to be a little more sensitive to her situation. You shouldn’t feel bad about making new friends or even new best friends, but you should feel bad for ignoring your old one. I’m sure she’s been there for you in the past, and now it’s your turn.
It’s great that you love it here at UM, but you shouldn’t just toss your old life aside. While it’s easy to get caught up in all the excitement of coming to a new place and meeting new people, you shouldn’t forget those at home who love you and still want to be included in your life. It’s a delicate balancing act that takes time to perfect but, trust me it can be done.

If you really “love her to death,” then make the time to talk to her. Go over your schedules and find times when you’re both free. Instead of watching that “Scrubs” episode for the third time, pick up the phone. Maybe you should set up a time each week for a little catch-up chat. I’m sure all she really wants from you is to put some effort in to your relationship. She’ll feel better, and you won’t feel like a terrible person.

Best of luck!

Fact o’ The Day:

In one sample of healthy 80 to 102 year olds, 62 percent of the men and 30 percent of the women reported that they still engaged in sexual intercourse.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Miami Hurricane. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...