Dominican leader visits School of Comm

POSTED SEPT. 18 AT 1 P.M.

The president and first lady of the Dominican Republic attended a luncheon at the School of Communication Monday to announce plans to join efforts in developing multimedia journalistic expertise and research in the rural and other parts of the country.

“We want our students to take advantage of the knowledge available at the University of Miami,” said President Leonel Fernandez.

The new plans are the culmination of a series of conversations between the university and the island nation, said School of Communication Dean Sam L Grogg.

There are several initiatives planned or underway between the Dominican Republic and the school. For instance, the Spanish Language Master’s in Journalism program is already hosting journalists from the Dominican Republic’s La Republica Libre newspaper.

“Our country is in a growth period,” said Mariela Gil, one of the Dominican students in the Spanish language program. She added that young people who do not take advantage of their education are in a “bad place.”

The main focus of Monday’s visit was to discuss the launch of more initiatives in new media journalism education.

“We have various projects in mind, but the one we are launching today is a training program for rural journalists,” Fernandez said, noting that journalists will be working at Community Technology Centers. “Many of the young people working at these centers are not professional journalists, but this program aims to professionalize them.”

The network of Community Technology Centers is part of an initiative headed by First Lady Margarita Cedeno de Fernandez. The 135 proposed centers are located in rural areas of the country. There are currently 45 centers in operation, each featuring 20 to 25 computers, a library with local and international literature, a movie screening room a and radio station.

To initiate the joint rural new media project, the School of Communication’s Knight Center for International Media will host a professional journalist or scholar from the Dominican Republic, who will work with the SoC faculty to prepare a plan and multimedia presentation to advance and explain the project.

“If we can train the journalists of rural areas and marginal populations in the Dominican Republic, it will represent a real-life experience for new and groundbreaking ways of teaching and research,” said Leonardo Ferreira, associate dean and director of graduate studies. “This project is being designed as a pilot study that will hopefully impact the Latin American region in a positive way.”

Sophia Pino may be contacted at sophiapino@gmail.com.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...