Students encouraged to ‘get their walk on’

Tennis shoes, gym shorts and perspiration bands may be common in some closets of college students, but with the new Walking Counts initiative encouraged by the Wellness Center, every University of Miami student may want to get in on the exercising action.

The program suggests that students walk to classes and nearby destinations instead of using the Hurry ‘Cane shuttles.

Ashley Falcon, assistant director of Wellness Programs, along with other Wellness Center staff, has designed flyers explaining the benefits of a moderately active routine. The flyer reads, “If done regularly, walking will reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer, lower total cholesterol, raise healthy HDL cholesterol and lower blood pressure.”

The flyers also give information regarding steps, time and calories burned when a student walks from one part of campus to another.

For example, the chart says that walking from Eaton Residential College to the University Center will require 560 steps, take 5.1 minutes and burn 28 calories.

The flyers are now posted on the 14 main bus stops around campus, and will also be located in other frequently visited areas such as the I-Lounge in the UC.

Norman Parsons, Jr., director of Wellness and Recreation and head of the Walking Counts initiative, said the program’s aim is to promote the goal of walking 10,000 steps everyday.

“This number may seem like a lot for some students, but considering the walk from the Wellness Center to Richter Library takes [1,660 steps], it might not be unreasonable at all,” Parsons said.
The Wellness Center also plans to create a “personal fitness diary” tool on the website, so that students and faculty can upload information and track their own progress.

“The point of these programs is to make gradual lifestyle changes,” Falcon said. “Students and faculty should perceive fitness as a way of life and not stop after a couple of pounds have been dropped.”

A Walking Counts kickoff ceremony is scheduled to take place at the fountain near the Ashe Building, but the date is yet to be determined. The Wellness Center encourages students and faculty to attend, and free pedometers will be provided.

Coincidentally, the American College of Sports Medicine, along with the American Heart Association, is also encouraging people to get moving, and has updated its physical-activity guidelines for the first time in 12 years. For more information visit acsm.org.

Karyn Meshbane contributed to this article.

Carla Kerstens may be contacted at cksinger@hotmail.com.

Walking distances from the UC

Academic Buildings

Learning Center
400 steps/3.6 minutes
Memorial
360 steps/3.3 minutes
On-campus Housing
Eaton
560 steps/5.1 minutes
Hecht
820 steps/7.5 minutes
Mahoney-Pearson
560 steps/5.1 minutes
Stanford
600 steps/5.5 minutes
University Village
1,700 steps/15.5 minutes

Wellness and Recreation

Bank United Center
1,180 steps/10.7 minutes
Rathskeller
180 steps/1.6 minutes
Wellness Center
1,020 steps/9.3 minutes

Additional Locations

Ashe Building
280 steps/2.5 minutes
Metrorail University Station
1,280 steps/11.6 minutes
Pavia Parking Garage
340 steps/3.1 minutes
Ponce Parking Garage
1,500 steps/13.6 minutes

Courtesy University Wellness and Recreation

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...