Striking ‘Canes ready

The Hurricane volleyball squad (6-3) will strive to secure a win in their ACC opener, as they march into Tallahassee, Fla. to face arch nemesis Florida State (3-5) on Friday.

After losing three of their first five games, the ‘Canes didn’t leave anything to chance and swept their last four opponents.
Miami’s marquee victory came against the then undefeated Delaware Blue Hens.

Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch believes her team’s record could be deceiving.

“We’re a 6-3 team but I know we were not far away from being 9-0,” she said. “It’s all about what you do with those losses, how it motivates you and how you work in practice. You want to make sure you’re not in those situations again.”

In the past three matches, junior Bridget Bomhack has 34 kills, sophomore Genny Mayhew has 29 kills and freshmen Katie Gallagher has 117 assists. Defensively, senior Ciara Michel racked up 14 total blocks and sophomore Cassie Loessberg contributed an average of nearly 17 digs.

The ‘Canes will need to carry this momentum in order to claim their first conference win and bragging rights against rival FSU.
Last year in Tallahassee, Fla., the Hurricanes came out and were completely outplayed in the first two games. But after the intermission the Hurricanes were rejuvenated, and they went on to take three straight games and shocked the Seminoles.

“Motivation will be easy to play FSU,” Lantagne Welch said.
The ‘Canes, who are 1-2 on road trips this season, will play a Florida State team that is 2-0 at home.

The Hurricanes will need to take advantage of the Seminoles’ errors, as Florida State has 109 serving errors this season compared to Miami’s 64.

Miami will be looking to contain FSU outside hitters Makini Thompson and Taylor Wilson. The Seminoles average almost 14 kills per game, but they have been struggling lately. The Seminoles were dominated in their last two games and allowed their opponents to sweep.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at l.ledoux@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...