Striking ‘Canes ready

The Hurricane volleyball squad (6-3) will strive to secure a win in their ACC opener, as they march into Tallahassee, Fla. to face arch nemesis Florida State (3-5) on Friday.

After losing three of their first five games, the ‘Canes didn’t leave anything to chance and swept their last four opponents.
Miami’s marquee victory came against the then undefeated Delaware Blue Hens.

Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch believes her team’s record could be deceiving.

“We’re a 6-3 team but I know we were not far away from being 9-0,” she said. “It’s all about what you do with those losses, how it motivates you and how you work in practice. You want to make sure you’re not in those situations again.”

In the past three matches, junior Bridget Bomhack has 34 kills, sophomore Genny Mayhew has 29 kills and freshmen Katie Gallagher has 117 assists. Defensively, senior Ciara Michel racked up 14 total blocks and sophomore Cassie Loessberg contributed an average of nearly 17 digs.

The ‘Canes will need to carry this momentum in order to claim their first conference win and bragging rights against rival FSU.
Last year in Tallahassee, Fla., the Hurricanes came out and were completely outplayed in the first two games. But after the intermission the Hurricanes were rejuvenated, and they went on to take three straight games and shocked the Seminoles.

“Motivation will be easy to play FSU,” Lantagne Welch said.
The ‘Canes, who are 1-2 on road trips this season, will play a Florida State team that is 2-0 at home.

The Hurricanes will need to take advantage of the Seminoles’ errors, as Florida State has 109 serving errors this season compared to Miami’s 64.

Miami will be looking to contain FSU outside hitters Makini Thompson and Taylor Wilson. The Seminoles average almost 14 kills per game, but they have been struggling lately. The Seminoles were dominated in their last two games and allowed their opponents to sweep.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at l.ledoux@umiami.edu.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...