Miami to face USF in first home match of the season

After a disappointing 4-1 loss to LSU last Saturday, the Miami women’s soccer team will look to bounce back against South Florida on Friday in the Hurricanes’ first home match of the season.

USF is winless and scoreless in three games this season, playing Ole Miss to a draw and losing to University of Florida and Georgia.

The ‘Canes are not overlooking their in-state rival, though.
“Any time you play anybody in-state it is always more competitive,” Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “We want to play well at home and get into a rhythm that will set the tone for the rest of the season.”

The Hurricanes are led by senior goalkeeper Lauren McAdam, who has recorded one shutout this season in an 8-0 rout of Alabama A&M, and senior midfielder Sheuneen Ta, who according to Taliaferro, is the team’s best playmaker.

Miami’s offense has received a tremendous boost with the arrival of freshmen Brittney Steinbruch and Lauren Singer. In four games this season, the Hurricanes have netted 12 goals, with Steinbruch recording five and Singer recording four.

“We have more of a flare on the offensive end this season,” Taliaferro said. “The ability of these freshmen to come in and score has really helped us.”

In last season’s meeting, the ‘Canes edged the Bulls 1-0.
To win this time around, Miami must play physical on defense against a gritty USF team that is under first-year Head Coach Denise Schilte-Brown.

“They are very physical and more organized this season,” Taliaferro said. “We need to be able to spread the field and attack with speed.”

The ‘Canes will have the challenge of defending junior forward Lindsay Brauer, who led the Bulls last season in shots, goals and assists.

The Hurricanes are 2-1-1 this season and must continue to win their opening matches, as a harsh ACC schedule approaches. Miami claimed only one conference victory last year, but lost five one-goal games. Taliaferro thinks the ‘Canes improved offense will remedy that problem.

“We want to be in the top half of the ACC [this season]and make it to the NCAAs.”

Zack Loss may be contacted at z.loss@umiami.edu

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...