Incubus alive again

“In America, rock tours have been around forever and our band is a part of that.”
-DJ Chris Kilmore

Nothing can be more disappointing than seeing your favorite band perform live only to realize that you wish you would have saved some money by staying home and rocking out to their CD because you can’t hear the vocals over the music. Or perhaps the lead singer’s voice isn’t as great as once thought. In reality, a band’s ability to please and entertain audiences while making their live performances worthwhile is what makes lifelong fans, and a nice profit.

But if there is only one thing that sets Incubus apart from other rock bands, it would be their smooth sound when playing live. Nearly 20,000 South Florida fans heard these masters of live rock on Aug. 29 when Incubus played at the Sound Advice Amphitheatre in West Palm Beach.

While touring and making quality music is Incubus’ calling, this tour comes after a two-year break for the band. In November 2004, Incubus headed home after a tiresome world tour and hundreds of shows. Each member spent the next two years individually exploring things outside of their rock scene-music, art, film and literature-and eventually got back to work on their sixth album “Light Grenades.”

On the band’s website, lead vocalist Brandon Boyd recounts that to “so many people we are a new band, while we have been writing music together, for better or worse, for fifteen years now. Coming home in November of 2004 was an important decision. Not only were we road weary and dried up, but each one of us in his own way needed to step back from the monster that we had created and re-access what had transpired.”

“The five of us were single once again, all at the same time and it was pretty rough,” DJ Chris Kilmore said.

And it resulted in the “Light Grenades” album, which got them back on the road once again.

“With ‘Light Grenades’ we really took a lot of time with it. It’s probably the most thought-out album we have recorded so far,” bass player Ben Kenney said.

Incubus began their latest tour in July, hitting cities across the United States. They will also perform in select European cities starting this weekend.

One of the most popular alternative-metal bands today, Incubus formed in 1991 in the San Fernando Valley suburb of Calabasas, Calif., where group members Brandon Boyd (vocals, percussion), Mike Einziger (guitar), Alex Katunich (a.k.a. Dirk Lance; bass) and Jos

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...