Incubus alive again

“In America, rock tours have been around forever and our band is a part of that.”
-DJ Chris Kilmore

Nothing can be more disappointing than seeing your favorite band perform live only to realize that you wish you would have saved some money by staying home and rocking out to their CD because you can’t hear the vocals over the music. Or perhaps the lead singer’s voice isn’t as great as once thought. In reality, a band’s ability to please and entertain audiences while making their live performances worthwhile is what makes lifelong fans, and a nice profit.

But if there is only one thing that sets Incubus apart from other rock bands, it would be their smooth sound when playing live. Nearly 20,000 South Florida fans heard these masters of live rock on Aug. 29 when Incubus played at the Sound Advice Amphitheatre in West Palm Beach.

While touring and making quality music is Incubus’ calling, this tour comes after a two-year break for the band. In November 2004, Incubus headed home after a tiresome world tour and hundreds of shows. Each member spent the next two years individually exploring things outside of their rock scene-music, art, film and literature-and eventually got back to work on their sixth album “Light Grenades.”

On the band’s website, lead vocalist Brandon Boyd recounts that to “so many people we are a new band, while we have been writing music together, for better or worse, for fifteen years now. Coming home in November of 2004 was an important decision. Not only were we road weary and dried up, but each one of us in his own way needed to step back from the monster that we had created and re-access what had transpired.”

“The five of us were single once again, all at the same time and it was pretty rough,” DJ Chris Kilmore said.

And it resulted in the “Light Grenades” album, which got them back on the road once again.

“With ‘Light Grenades’ we really took a lot of time with it. It’s probably the most thought-out album we have recorded so far,” bass player Ben Kenney said.

Incubus began their latest tour in July, hitting cities across the United States. They will also perform in select European cities starting this weekend.

One of the most popular alternative-metal bands today, Incubus formed in 1991 in the San Fernando Valley suburb of Calabasas, Calif., where group members Brandon Boyd (vocals, percussion), Mike Einziger (guitar), Alex Katunich (a.k.a. Dirk Lance; bass) and Jos

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...