Hurricanes get by Golden Panthers

POSTED SEPT 15 AT 9:18 P.M.

After a 51-13 hammering at the hands of the Oklahoma Sooners last weekend, the Miami Hurricanes came away with a 23-9 win against the FIU Golden Panthers.

The Hurricane defense started the team on the right foot, as safety Kenny Phillips intercepted FIU’s Wayne Younger on his first pass of the game. The Hurricanes were unable to convert, though, as place kicker Francesco Zampogna missed a 27-yard field goal.

On their next possession, quarterback Kyle Wright, starting his first game for the Hurricanes this season, was intercepted by FIU corner back Anthony Gaitor. On their next possession though, true freshman Graig Cooper ran the ball four times for 33 yards and his first touchdown as a ‘Cane.

Before the end of the half, the ‘Canes added two field goals, taking a 13-0 lead into the half.

After swapping field goals, out of the half, the ‘Canes offense found some life, as Wright began finding receivers down the field. This culminated in an 80 yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Lance Leggett. On their next possession, though, after a 35 yard pass to Darnell Jenkins, Wright threw his second interception of the game, on 1st and Goal.

This was followed by a 65 yard touchdown pass by FIU’s Younger to Trenard Turner, making the score 23-9.

Additional game coverage will be available Monday in the print edition of The Miami Hurricane.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...