Hurricanes get by Golden Panthers

POSTED SEPT 15 AT 9:18 P.M.

After a 51-13 hammering at the hands of the Oklahoma Sooners last weekend, the Miami Hurricanes came away with a 23-9 win against the FIU Golden Panthers.

The Hurricane defense started the team on the right foot, as safety Kenny Phillips intercepted FIU’s Wayne Younger on his first pass of the game. The Hurricanes were unable to convert, though, as place kicker Francesco Zampogna missed a 27-yard field goal.

On their next possession, quarterback Kyle Wright, starting his first game for the Hurricanes this season, was intercepted by FIU corner back Anthony Gaitor. On their next possession though, true freshman Graig Cooper ran the ball four times for 33 yards and his first touchdown as a ‘Cane.

Before the end of the half, the ‘Canes added two field goals, taking a 13-0 lead into the half.

After swapping field goals, out of the half, the ‘Canes offense found some life, as Wright began finding receivers down the field. This culminated in an 80 yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Lance Leggett. On their next possession, though, after a 35 yard pass to Darnell Jenkins, Wright threw his second interception of the game, on 1st and Goal.

This was followed by a 65 yard touchdown pass by FIU’s Younger to Trenard Turner, making the score 23-9.

Additional game coverage will be available Monday in the print edition of The Miami Hurricane.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Some of the last uninhabited islands on the planet are serving as a natural laboratory for a Univers ...

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center’s 18,000-square-foot fitness room named in honor of Norm ...

University of Miami theatre arts students and faculty members come together for a whirlwind day to c ...

The #SuperCoralPlay campaign combines education and outreach with research and restoration efforts t ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Emily Becker is part of a dream team of scientists that will present it ...

The Miami men's basketball team will play its fourth top-15 opponent in a six-game, 18-day span ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a spectacular performance in singles play Monday to con ...

Miami women's basketball returns to the Watsco Center on Thursday. ...

The Canes will open the 2020 season with multiple top-5 preseason rankings for the first time since ...

Miami Athletics officially dedicated the Boich Family Scoreboard at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center Sa ...