Hurricanes get by Golden Panthers

POSTED SEPT 15 AT 9:18 P.M.

After a 51-13 hammering at the hands of the Oklahoma Sooners last weekend, the Miami Hurricanes came away with a 23-9 win against the FIU Golden Panthers.

The Hurricane defense started the team on the right foot, as safety Kenny Phillips intercepted FIU’s Wayne Younger on his first pass of the game. The Hurricanes were unable to convert, though, as place kicker Francesco Zampogna missed a 27-yard field goal.

On their next possession, quarterback Kyle Wright, starting his first game for the Hurricanes this season, was intercepted by FIU corner back Anthony Gaitor. On their next possession though, true freshman Graig Cooper ran the ball four times for 33 yards and his first touchdown as a ‘Cane.

Before the end of the half, the ‘Canes added two field goals, taking a 13-0 lead into the half.

After swapping field goals, out of the half, the ‘Canes offense found some life, as Wright began finding receivers down the field. This culminated in an 80 yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Lance Leggett. On their next possession, though, after a 35 yard pass to Darnell Jenkins, Wright threw his second interception of the game, on 1st and Goal.

This was followed by a 65 yard touchdown pass by FIU’s Younger to Trenard Turner, making the score 23-9.

Additional game coverage will be available Monday in the print edition of The Miami Hurricane.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.