Hurricanes get by Golden Panthers

POSTED SEPT 15 AT 9:18 P.M.

After a 51-13 hammering at the hands of the Oklahoma Sooners last weekend, the Miami Hurricanes came away with a 23-9 win against the FIU Golden Panthers.

The Hurricane defense started the team on the right foot, as safety Kenny Phillips intercepted FIU’s Wayne Younger on his first pass of the game. The Hurricanes were unable to convert, though, as place kicker Francesco Zampogna missed a 27-yard field goal.

On their next possession, quarterback Kyle Wright, starting his first game for the Hurricanes this season, was intercepted by FIU corner back Anthony Gaitor. On their next possession though, true freshman Graig Cooper ran the ball four times for 33 yards and his first touchdown as a ‘Cane.

Before the end of the half, the ‘Canes added two field goals, taking a 13-0 lead into the half.

After swapping field goals, out of the half, the ‘Canes offense found some life, as Wright began finding receivers down the field. This culminated in an 80 yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Lance Leggett. On their next possession, though, after a 35 yard pass to Darnell Jenkins, Wright threw his second interception of the game, on 1st and Goal.

This was followed by a 65 yard touchdown pass by FIU’s Younger to Trenard Turner, making the score 23-9.

Additional game coverage will be available Monday in the print edition of The Miami Hurricane.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...