Hurricanes get by Golden Panthers

POSTED SEPT 15 AT 9:18 P.M.

After a 51-13 hammering at the hands of the Oklahoma Sooners last weekend, the Miami Hurricanes came away with a 23-9 win against the FIU Golden Panthers.

The Hurricane defense started the team on the right foot, as safety Kenny Phillips intercepted FIU’s Wayne Younger on his first pass of the game. The Hurricanes were unable to convert, though, as place kicker Francesco Zampogna missed a 27-yard field goal.

On their next possession, quarterback Kyle Wright, starting his first game for the Hurricanes this season, was intercepted by FIU corner back Anthony Gaitor. On their next possession though, true freshman Graig Cooper ran the ball four times for 33 yards and his first touchdown as a ‘Cane.

Before the end of the half, the ‘Canes added two field goals, taking a 13-0 lead into the half.

After swapping field goals, out of the half, the ‘Canes offense found some life, as Wright began finding receivers down the field. This culminated in an 80 yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Lance Leggett. On their next possession, though, after a 35 yard pass to Darnell Jenkins, Wright threw his second interception of the game, on 1st and Goal.

This was followed by a 65 yard touchdown pass by FIU’s Younger to Trenard Turner, making the score 23-9.

Additional game coverage will be available Monday in the print edition of The Miami Hurricane.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...