What’s Going On?

September 10: TODAY

The Richter Library is hosting an introductory workshop from 4 to 5 p.m. titled “Libraries in a Nutshell” to explain the ins and outs of the library’s physical and virtual environment.

The Intensive Language Institute is offering a free, non-credit English course for International Teaching Assistants (ITAs) who have not yet met the UM English proficiency requirements. Courses are offered Mondays and Wednesdays starting today from 9 to 10:30 a.m. in Allen Hall. Contact 305-284-4727 or e-mail alc.cstudies@miami.edu.

September 11: TUESDAY

The Jerry Herman Ring Theatre is showing “The Fantasticks,” a classic coming-of-age story and a timeless celebration of love, from 8 to 10:30 p.m. Free for UM students with a ‘Cane Card.

Self-defense classes for women, called Rape Aggression Defense (RAD), will instruct women to defend themselves against the most common types of assault. The program consists of 12 hours of instruction, broken up in four sessions. Sessions will take place on Sept. 11, 13, 18 and 20, from 6 to 9 p.m. Cost is $25 for students, faculty and staff, and $35 for non-UM affiliated individuals. Advance sign-up is required. For more information contact www.miami.edu/police or call 305-284-1105.

September 12: WEDNESDAY

The CAC will be screening “Pan’s Labyrinth” from 8 to 10 p.m. at the Cosford Cinema. UM students are admitted free with ‘Cane Card.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...