The Pumpkins return with the solid ‘Zeitgeist’

Following a seven year hiatus the Smashing Pumpkins return with their much anticipated comeback album, “Zeitgeist.” After such a long time, anticipation is obviously high for both the die-hard fans and a whole new generation. So, they get right back on track with thundering opener “Doomsday Clock,” evoking true Smashing Pumpkins melancholy in the lyrics and delivery of Billy Corgan: “These lonely days/when will they ever stop?” Corgan’s prevailing voice also layers defiance in this song – yes, listening to Smashing Pumpkins will get us through these troubled times!

However this opening is left tainted with songs such as “7 Shades of Black” and “Bleeding the Orchid,” constructed with similar vocal patterns, removing the uniqueness that the Pumpkins usually produce. Disappointingly, the band blends into the drone of rock singers they comically try to mock in their debut single “Tarantula,” despite proclaiming “we are the real.” Although the band seems to aiming for a more mainstream audience, technically the Pumpkins do not disappoint. The songs are layered skilfully with commanding guitar, roaring bass and even synth, a new experience for the band. This is all explored to the extreme in the epic “United States,” and despite the slightly egotistical extended guitar solo in the middle you can appreciate the brilliance of the Pumpkins. Furthermore, the reformed line-up is successful in producing a well rounded album, with gems such as “Neverlost” and “For God and Country” reminiscent of their innovative album “Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.” “Zeitgeist” shows the band does adapt to the music and the issues faced today, sincerely fulfilling its title. But in all honesty, Pumpkins are technically astounding and cannot be generalized just as the spirit of today. They still produce good records whatever age and reflect the spirit of a lifetime.

Gemma Dempster may be contacted at g.dempster@miami.edu

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...