Sports Briefs

SOCCER

1-1-0 finish at Samford Classic

The women’s soccer team split its matches at the 2007 Long’s Electronics Samford Classic, with a 2-1 victory over the Samford Bulldogs and a 4-1 loss to LSU.
The Hurricanes jumped onto the scoreboard early against Samford, as freshman Brittney Steinbruch scored her team-high fifth goal of the season, continuing her goal-scoring streak to three straight games. The goal was the first that the Bulldogs (2-1-0) have allowed all season.

The ‘Canes then extended their lead to 2-0 when sophomore Beverly Goebel assisted junior Sammy Sanderson in the 32nd minute. Samford responded in the 59th minute to bring the score to 2-1, but they were unable to muster anything else against the Hurricane defense.

Against LSU, the Hurricanes did not fair as well, and were handed their first loss of the season. The lone Hurricane goal of the game was scored by freshman Lauren Singer, who netted her fourth goal of the season.
The Hurricanes move to 2-1-1 on the season.

GENERAL SPORTS

Waking up with some ‘Canes

Fusion Innovative Market has announced the release of “The Spirit of the U” University of cereal box. The cereal boxes, which are a limited edition item, will be sold exclusively at Publix Supermarkets. Additionally, the boxes will be sold only in select regions of Florida.

Along with University of Miami cereal boxes, the company has also announced the release of University of Florida and Florida State University cereal boxes.

“Publix Supermarkets has been a great partner over the last few years and has seen the value in supporting these great programs,” Fusion President Jay Freedman said. “We are very excited to launch the UM and FSU programs so that fans can now wake up to their favorite school. All three schools have dynamic marketing teams, who saw the value in bringing these concepts to their fans.”

CROSS COUNTRY

Hurricanes start season

Action at the 2007 Mountain Dew Invitational in Gainesville, Fla. concluded with the men’s cross country team finishing in fourth place, while the Lady Hurricanes finished eighth.

On the men’s side, the Hurricanes were led by junior Ryan Woodlee, who finished 20th in the 8,000-meters. Additionally, senior Alex Paley finished 28th, junior Eric Miller finished 35th and junior Andrew Chuplis finished 37th.

On the women’s side, senior Delia Phlatts led the way, finishing in 29th place Freshman Caitlin Knapp finished in 35th place, aiding the Lady Hurricanes in her first competition as a ‘Cane.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Zach Johnson is known for his fashion sense, and always has been since he led Miami Norland High to ...

Let’s fire everybody! And while we’re at it let’s fire the people who hired the people we just fired ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt, whose Hurricanes are in the midst of a four-game losing streak ...

The University of Miami’s interest in Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant apparently is m ...

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball is a member of the 2018-19 Citizen Naismith ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated Hartford, 75-62, Sunday afternoon at the Watsco Cent ...