Sports Briefs

SOCCER

1-1-0 finish at Samford Classic

The women’s soccer team split its matches at the 2007 Long’s Electronics Samford Classic, with a 2-1 victory over the Samford Bulldogs and a 4-1 loss to LSU.
The Hurricanes jumped onto the scoreboard early against Samford, as freshman Brittney Steinbruch scored her team-high fifth goal of the season, continuing her goal-scoring streak to three straight games. The goal was the first that the Bulldogs (2-1-0) have allowed all season.

The ‘Canes then extended their lead to 2-0 when sophomore Beverly Goebel assisted junior Sammy Sanderson in the 32nd minute. Samford responded in the 59th minute to bring the score to 2-1, but they were unable to muster anything else against the Hurricane defense.

Against LSU, the Hurricanes did not fair as well, and were handed their first loss of the season. The lone Hurricane goal of the game was scored by freshman Lauren Singer, who netted her fourth goal of the season.
The Hurricanes move to 2-1-1 on the season.

GENERAL SPORTS

Waking up with some ‘Canes

Fusion Innovative Market has announced the release of “The Spirit of the U” University of cereal box. The cereal boxes, which are a limited edition item, will be sold exclusively at Publix Supermarkets. Additionally, the boxes will be sold only in select regions of Florida.

Along with University of Miami cereal boxes, the company has also announced the release of University of Florida and Florida State University cereal boxes.

“Publix Supermarkets has been a great partner over the last few years and has seen the value in supporting these great programs,” Fusion President Jay Freedman said. “We are very excited to launch the UM and FSU programs so that fans can now wake up to their favorite school. All three schools have dynamic marketing teams, who saw the value in bringing these concepts to their fans.”

CROSS COUNTRY

Hurricanes start season

Action at the 2007 Mountain Dew Invitational in Gainesville, Fla. concluded with the men’s cross country team finishing in fourth place, while the Lady Hurricanes finished eighth.

On the men’s side, the Hurricanes were led by junior Ryan Woodlee, who finished 20th in the 8,000-meters. Additionally, senior Alex Paley finished 28th, junior Eric Miller finished 35th and junior Andrew Chuplis finished 37th.

On the women’s side, senior Delia Phlatts led the way, finishing in 29th place Freshman Caitlin Knapp finished in 35th place, aiding the Lady Hurricanes in her first competition as a ‘Cane.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...