Shannon rebuilding football dynasty, image with old school discipline

The Miami Hurricanes have traditionally been college football’s black sheep. In spite of their storied legacy and their impact on the collegiate and professional ranks, the Hurricanes have long been cast in a negative light for behavior off the field. Displeased with that perception, new Head Coach Randy Shannon wants to see the “Thug U” image change.

“I just want to make sure we’re very respectful in the public view,” Shannon said. “We’re going to make sure everything we do, everyone at the University of Miami can be proud of.”

Under former Head Coach Larry Coker, the media ripped the University of Miami for its sideline-clearing brawl against Florida International University. The incident was predominately blamed on UM players and garnered nationwide attention that furthered the negative perception of Miami football players.

All that changed the moment Shannon was named head coach, as he immediately instilled a strict brand of discipline to change how the public perceives the Hurricanes. This behavior revolution has, in turn, been a tool for a successful recruiting campaign.

Shannon’s new rules forbid players from owning weapons. Curfews are frequently imposed on players as a result of the coach’s belief that “nothing good happens after midnight.” He also prohibits team members from eating or wearing hats during team meetings, as a way of showing respect.

In addition, Shannon places a strong emphasis on academics and requires players with a GPA of 2.5 or less to live on campus. Additionally, those caught skipping classes or workouts will not only see less playing time, but they’ll find themselves running more than they would like.

“Discipline is important,” Shannon said. “If you want to win games, you can’t have distractions. I’m changing how we feel about ourselves.”

That change is rooted in accountability-accountability to the University of Miami and accountability to one another. It’s a change evident to All-American junior defensive end Calais Campbell.

“Coach Shannon gets everyone next to each other in drills, in the locker room, in meetings. He wants us together, looking out for each other, making sure we’re accountable for one another,” Campbell said. “He makes us smarter, wiser people.”

To further this dependability on one another, Shannon has stripped all jerseys of players’ names, making it clear that no one individual is more important than another.

Those bonds of team unity, which have been absent in recent years, are just one more reason why standout high-schoolers still choose to play in Coral Gables, Fla., despite last season’s disappointing turnout.

For example, highly touted running back Graig Cooper, “the human highlight film” as he was referred to in high school, became a ‘Cane this year, after turning down offers from Oklahoma State, Tennessee and Mississippi. Cooper chose UM not for its legacy, but rather for the team chemistry Shannon champions. Cooper and fellow running back Javarris James have created a bond off the field that enabled them to work together to rush for 215 combined yards against Marshall.

“[The people here] were my family before I got here,” Cooper said. “When I got here, it was like I was already a part of the team.”

Like Cooper, elite high schoolers have committed themselves to the University of Miami since Shannon took over the program. As a result, experts predict the Hurricanes could be poised to make a championship run by 2009.

And Shannon is no stranger to winning; he has played on or coached three of Miami’s five championship teams. But he insists the price of victory is accountability.
Humility and hard work are Shannon’s formula for rebuilding the Hurricane football dynasty.

“We’re just going to make sure we meet our goal. And that’s to make sure each student athlete on this team is represented in the community and that we win football games.”

Victor R. Rodriguez may be contacted at v.rodriguez18@umiami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...